(a) The Department of Corrections shall administer the state programs of corrections, including
Terms Used In Alaska Statutes 44.28.020 - Duties of department
- state: means the State of Alaska unless applied to the different parts of the United States and in the latter case it includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
(1) state adult penal institutions;
(2) probation and parole supervision; and
(3) extraditions and detainers.
(b) The department shall, with the approval of the Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, adopt standards, by regulation, for rehabilitation programs for perpetrators of domestic violence as defined in AS 18.66.990 and for the approval of those programs. For purposes of AS 12.55.101 , AS 18.66.100 (c), and AS 33.16.150 (f), the department shall approve a program if the department determines that the program meets the standards. Upon application of a program, the department may waive one or more standards and approve the program if the department determines
(1) there is good cause for the waiver;
(2) the safety of victims and children is not compromised by the waiver;
(3) an acceptable alternative is provided by the program.
(c) The department shall establish an automated inmate information system to allow persons to place surcharge telephone calls to obtain information concerning inmates and where they are incarcerated, bail and bond information, and information concerning visiting hours at institutions. A system established under this subsection shall be designed so that
(1) all the costs of the system are, at a minimum, met by the revenues received from calls to the system; and
(2) the revenues received satisfy or defray the costs of establishing and maintaining an automated victim notification system established under AS 12.61.050 .