|Article 1||Establishment, Control, and Management||33.30.011 – 33.30.041|
|Article 2||Commitments, Programs, and Furloughs||33.30.051 – 33.30.181|
|Article 3||Miscellaneous Provisions||33.30.191 – 33.30.295|
|Article 4||General Provisions||33.30.901|
Terms Used In Alaska Statutes > Chapter 30
- action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- governing body: means the school board of a borough or city school district or a regional educational attendance area. See Alaska Statutes 14.60.010
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- municipality: means a political subdivision incorporated under the laws of the state that is a home rule or general law city, a home rule or general law borough, or a unified municipality. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, organization, business trust, or society, as well as a natural person. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, and evidences of debt. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- property: includes real and personal property. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- state: means the State of Alaska unless applied to the different parts of the United States and in the latter case it includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
- writing: includes printing. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060