A. A new county approved pursuant to this article is officially organized and exists and the affected county or counties are officially terminated from and after December 31 following the election of county officers pursuant to section 11-140. The affected county or counties shall continue to provide necessary services through December 31.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 11-142
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Affected county: means each existing county affected by a proposed formation of new counties. See Arizona Laws 11-131
- Commission: means the county formation commission established pursuant to section 11-136. See Arizona Laws 11-131
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- New county: means a county which has been approved by the voters at an election on formation held pursuant to section 11-137. See Arizona Laws 11-131
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
B. After the canvass of the election of county officers the initial board of supervisors and other officers of each new county shall begin the organization of their respective counties. Any action taken before January 1 is merely preparatory in nature but shall be confirmed on the official organization of the county. For these purposes, and according to the determination of the commission, the county officers may arrange for:
1. Employing and terminating personnel.
2. Purchasing or otherwise acquiring and disposing of property.
C. Before January 1 the boards of supervisors of the new counties may enter into contracts, including intergovernmental agreements pursuant to chapter 7, article 3 of this title, to become effective January 1.
D. The budgets of the new counties for the period before the first full fiscal year after the establishment of the new county governments shall be set by the distribution board, derived from the budget of the affected county or counties and apportioned among the new counties according to their respective populations.
E. The governor shall appoint a clerk of the superior court in each new county to hold office until the time provided by general law for the next election and qualification of an elected clerk of the court. Legal actions pending at the time of organizing new counties shall be transferred or otherwise disposed of pursuant to sections 12-402 and 12-403.
F. All ordinances, codes and rules of the affected county continue in effect, apply to and shall be enforced by the new county until revoked or superseded by ordinances, codes or rules adopted by the new county.