A. The court of appeals shall have:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 12-120.21
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Writ: means an order or precept in writing issued in the name of the state or by a court or judicial officer. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Writ of certiorari: An order issued by the Supreme Court directing the lower court to transmit records for a case for which it will hear on appeal.
1. Appellate jurisdiction in all actions and proceedings originating in or permitted by law to be appealed from the superior court, except criminal actions involving crimes for which a sentence of death has actually been imposed.
2. Jurisdiction to issue writs of certiorari to review the lawfulness of awards of the industrial commission and to enter judgment affirming or setting aside the awards.
3. Jurisdiction to issue injunctions and other writs and orders necessary and proper to the complete exercise of its appellate jurisdiction.
4. Jurisdiction to hear and determine petitions for special actions brought pursuant to the rules of procedure for special actions, without regard to its appellate jurisdiction.
B. A case or appeal of which the court of appeals has jurisdiction in an action or proceeding originating in or permitted by law to be appealed from the superior court in a county shall be brought or filed in the division which contains that county. An application for a writ of certiorari to review the lawfulness of an award of the industrial commission shall be brought in division 1.