A. A person commits bestiality by knowingly doing either of the following:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 13-1411
- Conduct: means an act or omission and its accompanying culpable mental state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Felony: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Knowingly: means , with respect to conduct or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, that a person is aware or believes that the person's conduct is of that nature or that the circumstance exists. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Minor: means a person under the age of eighteen years. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Oral sexual contact: means oral contact with the penis, vulva or anus. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Person: means a human being and, as the context requires, an enterprise, a public or private corporation, an unincorporated association, a partnership, a firm, a society, a government, a governmental authority or an individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Sexual intercourse: means penetration into the penis, vulva or anus by any part of the body or by any object or masturbatory contact with the penis or vulva. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
1. Engaging in oral sexual contact, sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an animal.
2. Causing another person to engage in oral sexual contact, sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an animal.
B. In addition to any other penalty imposed for a violation of subsection A of this section, the court may order that the convicted person do any of the following:
1. Undergo a psychological assessment and participate in appropriate counseling at the convicted person’s own expense.
2. Reimburse an animal shelter as defined in section 11-1022 for any reasonable costs incurred for the care and maintenance of any animal that was taken to the animal shelter as a result of conduct proscribed by subsection A of this section.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. Accepted veterinary medical practices performed by a licensed veterinarian or veterinary technician.
2. Insemination of animals by the same species, bred for commercial purposes.
3. Accepted animal husbandry practices that provide necessary care for animals bred for commercial purposes.
D. Bestiality is a class 6 felony, except that bestiality pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section is a class 3 felony punishable pursuant to section 13-705 if the other person is a minor under fifteen years of age.
E. For the purposes of this section, "animal" means a nonhuman mammal, bird, reptile or amphibian, either dead or alive.