A. The director may establish and maintain an aquatic invasive species program.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 17-255.01
- Department: means the Arizona game and fish department. See Arizona Laws 17-101
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Take: means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or the placing or using of any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing or killing of wildlife. See Arizona Laws 17-101
B. The director may issue orders:
1. Establishing a list of aquatic invasive species for this state.
2. Establishing a list of waters or locations where aquatic invasive species are present and take steps that are necessary to eradicate, abate or prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species within or from those bodies of water.
3. Establishing mandatory conditions as provided in subsection C of this section on the movement of watercraft, vehicles, conveyances or other equipment from waters or locations where aquatic invasive species are present to other waters.
C. If the presence of an aquatic invasive species is suspected or documented in this state, the director or an authorized employee or agent of the department may take one or more of the following actions to abate or eliminate the species:
1. Authorize and establish lawful inspections of watercraft, vehicles, conveyances and other equipment to locate the aquatic invasive species.
2. Order any person with an aquatic invasive species in or on the person’s watercraft, vehicle, conveyance or other equipment to decontaminate the watercraft, vehicle, conveyance or equipment in a manner prescribed by rule. Notwithstanding paragraph 3 of this subsection, mandatory on-site decontamination shall not be required at a location where an on-site cleaning station charges a fee.
3. Require any person with a watercraft, vehicle, conveyance or other equipment in waters or locations where an aquatic invasive species is present to decontaminate the property before moving it to any other waters in this state or any other location in this state where aquatic invasive species could thrive.
D. An order issued under subsection B or C of this section is exempt from title 41, chapter 6, article 3, except that the director shall promptly file a copy of the order with the secretary of state for publication in the Arizona administrative register pursuant to section 41-1013.