A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a person shall not deliver or issue for delivery in this state a long-term care insurance policy unless the policyholder or certificate holder has been offered the option of purchasing a policy or certificate with a nonforfeiture benefit. The offer of the nonforfeiture benefit may be in the form of a rider that is attached to the policy. If the policyholder or certificate holder declines the benefit, the insurer shall provide a contingent benefit on lapse that shall be available for a specified period of time following a substantial increase in premium rates.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 20-1691.11
- Certificate: means a certificate issued under a group long-term care insurance policy, which group policy has been delivered or issued for delivery in this state. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Group: means any of the following:
(a) One or more employers or labor organizations, or a trust or the trustees of a fund established by one or more employers or labor organizations for employees or former employees or members or former members of the labor organization. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Group long-term care insurance: means a long-term care insurance policy that is delivered or issued for delivery in this state to a group. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Long-term care insurance: means an individual or group insurance policy or rider issued by insurers, fraternal benefit societies, nonprofit health, hospital and medical service corporations, prepaid health plans, health care services organizations or any similar organization and advertised, marketed, offered or designed to provide coverage for each covered person on an expense-incurred, indemnity, prepaid or other basis for one or more necessary or medically necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, rehabilitative, maintenance, personal or custodial care services provided in a setting other than an acute care unit of a hospital. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Policy: means an individual or group policy, contract, subscriber agreement, rider or endorsement delivered or issued for delivery in this state by an insurer, fraternal benefit society, nonprofit health, hospital or medical service corporation, prepaid health plan or health care services organization or any similar organization. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
B. If a group long-term care insurance policy is issued, a person shall make the offer of the nonforfeiture benefit to the group policyholder, except that if the policy is issued to a group as defined in section 20-1691, paragraph 5, subdivision (d), other than to a continuing care retirement community or other similar entity, a person shall make the offering to each proposed certificate holder.