A. The Arizona citrus research council is established consisting of five producers appointed by the governor. The members shall be appointed as follows:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 3-468.01
- Citrus: means varieties of the genus citrus commercially produced in this state for the fresh market but does not include commercially produced by-products or products manufactured for resale. See Arizona Laws 3-468
- Council: means the Arizona citrus research council. See Arizona Laws 3-468
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Producer: means a person engaged in this state in the business of commercially producing or causing citrus to be commercially produced. See Arizona Laws 3-468
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
1. Two producers from district one, including Yuma county.
2. One producer from district two, including Maricopa, Pima and Pinal counties.
3. Two producers appointed at large.
B. The governor may consult with any recognized organization in this state that represents citrus producers in appointing members to the council.
C. The term of office of each council member is for three years beginning January 1 and ending December 31 of the appropriate year. Members are limited to two consecutive terms of office, except that a member who is appointed to fill a vacancy may serve two consecutive terms plus the unexpired term that fills the vacancy. A member who completes a second three-year term is ineligible for reappointment for one year. On the expiration of a term of a member or in the event of a vacancy, the governor shall appoint a successor.
D. The office of a member is deemed vacant and the governor shall appoint a person to fill the remainder of the term under any of the following circumstances:
1. The member is no longer a producer.
2. The member is unable to perform the duties of the office.
3. The absence of the member from four consecutive council meetings if the absences have not been excused by the council.
E. Members of the council are not eligible to receive compensation but are eligible for reimbursement of expenses pursuant to title 38, chapter 4, article 2.