A. The office of ombudsman-citizens aide is established.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 41-1375
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
B. The ombudsman-citizens aide who is appointed and approved under section 41-1373 shall serve full time and shall be a public officer subject to the conflict of interest provisions of title 38, chapter 3, article 8.
C. The term of office of the ombudsman-citizens aide is five years beginning on the date of appointment. Except as provided in subsection D of this section, the ombudsman-citizens aide shall not serve more than three full terms.
D. If the term of the ombudsman-citizens aide expires without the appointment of a successor, the incumbent ombudsman-citizens aide may continue in office until either:
1. A successor is appointed.
2. The ombudsman-citizens aide is removed from office pursuant to subsection E of this section.
E. The ombudsman-citizens aide may be removed from office at any time by a concurrent resolution approved by two-thirds of the membership of each house of the legislature, but only for neglect of duty, conviction of improperly divulging confidential information, misconduct or disability. The ombudsman-citizens aide may forfeit the office of ombudsman-citizens aide without legislative action pursuant to section 38-510. If the ombudsman-citizens aide is removed, resigns, dies or becomes incapacitated, a deputy ombudsman may serve as acting ombudsman-citizens aide until a new ombudsman-citizens aide is appointed.
F. The ombudsman-citizens aide is eligible to receive compensation as determined pursuant to section 38-611.
G. The ombudsman-citizens aide may incur, subject to appropriation, expenses that are necessary to carry out the duties under this chapter. The legislative council shall fund the expenses of the ombudsman-citizens aide from the monies appropriated to the council. The legislative council shall include the expenses as a line item in the general appropriations act.