|Article 1||Legislative Council||41-1301 – 41-1305|
|Article 4||Legislative Governmental Mall||41-1362 – 41-1365|
|Article 5||Office of Ombudsman-Citizens Aide||41-1371 – 41-1383|
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 41 > Chapter 8
- Administrative act: means an action, decision, omission, recommendation, practice, policy or procedure of an agency but does not include the preparation or presentation of legislation or the substantive content of a judicial order, decision or opinion. See Arizona Laws 41-1371
- Agency: means a department, office, corporation, authority, organization, commission, council or board of the executive branch of state government, a department, office, institution, authority, organization, commission, committee, council or board of state government that is independent of the executive or legislative branches of state government or an officer, employee or member of an agency acting or purporting to act in the exercise of official duties. See Arizona Laws 41-1371
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Board of directors: means the group of persons vested with the management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which the group is designated and includes the governing body or bodies of a water users' association if the articles of incorporation of such water users' association provide for a governing body or bodies denominated other than as a board of directors. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Bylaws: means the code of rules adopted for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which those rules are designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Cooperative: means a corporation that is organized under this article or that becomes subject to this article in the manner provided in this article. See Arizona Laws 10-2051
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Member: means , without regard to what a person is called in the articles of incorporation or bylaws, any person or persons who, pursuant to a provision of a corporation's articles of incorporation or bylaws, have the right to vote for the election of a director or directors. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Membership: refers to the rights and obligations a member or members have pursuant to a corporation's articles of incorporation and bylaws and chapters 24 through 40 of this title. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Person: means a natural person, firm, association, corporation, business trust, partnership, federal agency, state or political subdivision or agency of a state or any body politic. See Arizona Laws 10-2051
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- President: means that officer designated as the president in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or, if not so designated, that officer authorized in the articles of incorporation, bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of the chief executive officer, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Record: means any document, photograph, film, exhibit or other item developed or received under law or in connection with the transaction of official business except an attorney's work product, communications that are protected under the attorney-client privilege and confidential information as defined in section 41-1378, subsection D, paragraph 4. See Arizona Laws 41-1371
- Secretary: means that officer designated as the secretary in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or that officer authorized in the articles of incorporation, the bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of secretary, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Treasurer: means that officer designated as the treasurer in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or that officer authorized in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of treasurer, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Vice-president: means an officer designated as the vice-president in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or an officer authorized in the articles of incorporation, the bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of a vice-president, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215