In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 41-1491
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
1. "Aggrieved person" includes any person who either:
(a) Claims to have been injured by a discriminatory housing practice.
(b) Believes that he will be injured by a discriminatory housing practice that is about to occur.
2. "Complainant" means a person, including the attorney general, who files a complaint under section 41-1491.22.
3. "Conciliation" means the attempted resolution of issues raised by a complaint or by the investigation of the complaint through informal negotiations involving the aggrieved person, the respondent and the attorney general.
4. "Conciliation agreement" means a written agreement setting forth the resolution of the issues in conciliation.
5. "Disability" means a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits at least one major life activity, a record of such an impairment or being regarded as having such an impairment. Disability does not include current illegal use of or addiction to any drug or illegal or federally controlled substance. Disability shall be defined and construed as the term is defined and construed by the Americans with disabilities act of 1990 (P.L. 101-336) and the ADA amendments act of 2008 (P.L. 110-325; 122 Stat. 3553).
6. "Discriminatory housing practice" means an act prohibited by sections 41-1491.14 through 41-1491.21.
7. "Dwelling" means either:
(a) Any building, structure or part of a building or structure that is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families.
(b) Any vacant land that is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location of a building, structure or part of a building or structure described by subdivision (a) of this paragraph.
8. "Family" includes a single individual.
9. "Person" means one or more individuals, corporations, partnerships, associations, labor organizations, legal representatives, mutual companies, joint stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, trustees, receivers, fiduciaries, banks, credit unions and financial institutions.
10. "Respondent" means either:
(a) The person accused of a violation of this article in a complaint of a discriminatory housing practice.
(b) Any person identified as an additional or substitute respondent under section 41-1491.25 or an agent of an additional or substitute respondent.
11. "To rent" includes to lease, to sublease, to let or to otherwise grant for a consideration the right to occupy premises not owned by the occupant.