A. This article does not apply to:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 6-902
- Commercial mortgage loan: means a loan that is directly or indirectly secured by a mortgage or deed of trust or any lien interest on commercial property and that is created with the consent of the owner of the commercial property. See Arizona Laws 6-901
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Investor: means a person who lends or invests money in mortgage loans. See Arizona Laws 6-901
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Licensee: means a person licensed under this article. See Arizona Laws 6-901
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgage loan: means a loan secured by a mortgage or deed of trust or any lien interest on real estate located in this state created with the consent of the owner of the real estate. See Arizona Laws 6-901
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
1. A person who does business under any other law of this state, or law of any other state while regulated by a state agency of such other state or the United States, relating to banks, savings banks, trust companies, savings and loan associations, profit sharing and pension trusts, credit unions, insurance companies or consumer lenders, or receivership, including directly or indirectly making, negotiating or offering to make or negotiate a mortgage loan if the mortgage transactions are regulated by the other law or are under the jurisdiction of a court. Subsidiaries and service corporations of these institutions shall not be exempt and shall be subject to the provisions of this article unless preempted by federal law.
2. A person who makes a mortgage loan:
(a) With his own monies.
(b) For his own investment.
(c) Without intent to resell.
(d) And is not engaged in the business of making mortgage loans.
3. A person who funds a mortgage loan which has been originated and processed by a licensee, by a mortgage banker licensed in this state or by a person exempt under paragraph 1 of this subsection and who meets all of the following:
(a) Does not maintain a place of business in this state in connection with funding mortgage loans.
(b) Does not directly or indirectly solicit borrowers in this state for the purpose of making mortgage loans.
(c) Does not participate in the negotiation of mortgage loans.
4. A person who, as seller of real property, receives one or more mortgages or deeds of trust as security for a purchase money obligation.
5. A person who is licensed to practice law in this state, but is not actively and principally engaged in the business of negotiating mortgage loans, if this person renders services in the course of his practice as an attorney at law.
6. A person who receives a mortgage or deed of trust on real property as security for an obligation payable on an installment or deferred payment basis and arising out of materials furnished or services rendered in the improvement of that real property or any lien created without the consent of the owner of the real property.
7. A person who is licensed pursuant to article 2 or 3 of this chapter.
8. An agency of any state or of the United States.
9. A nonprofit federally tax exempt corporation certified by the United States small business administration and organized to promote economic development within this state whose primary activity consists of providing financing for business expansion.
B. For the purposes of:
1. Subsection A, paragraph 3 of this section, "originate" includes loans closed in a name other than that of the licensee, a mortgage banker licensed in this state or exempt person only if the person in whose name the loan is closed meets the other requirements of subsection A, paragraph 3 of this section.
2. Subsection A, paragraph 3, subdivision (c) of this section, "negotiation of mortgage loans" does not include setting the terms under which a person may buy a mortgage loan originated by a licensee or a person exempt under subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section.