California Corporations Code 6321 – (a) Except as provided in subdivision (c), (d), or (f), the …
(a) Except as provided in subdivision (c), (d), or (f), the board shall cause an annual report to be sent to the members not later than 120 days after the close of the corporation’s fiscal year. Unless otherwise provided by the articles or bylaws and if approved by the board of directors, that report and any accompanying material sent pursuant to this section may be sent by electronic transmission by the corporation (Section 20). That report shall contain in appropriate detail the following:
(1) The assets and liabilities, including the trust funds, of the corporation as of the end of the fiscal year.
Terms Used In California Corporations Code 6321
- County: includes "city and county. See California Corporations Code 14
- directors: means natural persons, designated in the articles or bylaws or elected by the incorporators, and their successors and natural persons designated, elected, or appointed by any other name or title to act as members of the governing body of the corporation. See California Corporations Code 5047
- Electronic transmission by the corporation: means a communication (a) delivered by (1) facsimile telecommunication or electronic mail when directed to the facsimile number or electronic mail address, respectively, for that recipient on record with the corporation, (2) posting on an electronic message board or network which the corporation has designated for those communications, together with a separate notice to the recipient of the posting, which transmission shall be validly delivered upon the later of the posting or delivery of the separate notice thereof, or (3) other means of electronic communication, (b) to a recipient who has provided an unrevoked consent to the use of those means of transmission for communications under or pursuant to this code, and (c) that creates a record that is capable of retention, retrieval, and review, and that may thereafter be rendered into clearly legible tangible form. See California Corporations Code 20
- Person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See California Corporations Code 18
(2) The principal changes in assets and liabilities, including trust funds, during the fiscal year.
(3) The revenue or receipts of the corporation, both unrestricted and restricted to particular purposes, for the fiscal year.
(4) The expenses or disbursements of the corporation, for both general and restricted purposes, during the fiscal year.
(5) Any information required by Section 6322.
(b) The report required by subdivision (a) shall be accompanied by any report thereon of independent accountants, or, if there is no such report, the certificate of an authorized officer of the corporation that such statements were prepared without audit from the books and records of the corporation. The report shall be prepared, audited, and made available in the manner required by paragraph (1) of subdivision (e) of § 12586 of the Government Code, if applicable.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any corporation which receives less than twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) in gross revenues or receipts during the fiscal year.
(d) Where a corporation has provided, pursuant to Section 5510, for regular meetings of members less often than annually, then the report required by subdivision (a) need be made to members only with the frequency with which regular membership meetings are required, unless the articles or bylaws require a report more often.
(e) Subdivisions (c) and (d) notwithstanding, a report with the information required by subdivision (a) shall be furnished annually to all of the following:
(1) All directors of the corporation.
(2) Any member who requests it in writing.
(f) A corporation which in writing solicits contributions from 500 or more persons need not send the report otherwise required by subdivision (a) if it does all of the following:
(1) Includes with any written material used to solicit contributions a written statement that its latest annual report will be mailed upon request and that such request may be sent to the corporation at a name and address which is set forth in the statement.
The term “annual report” as used in this subdivision refers to the report required by subdivision (a).
(2) Promptly mails a copy of its latest annual report to any person who requests a copy thereof.
(3) Causes its annual report to be published not later than 120 days after the close of its fiscal year in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which its principal office is located.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 442, Sec. 10. (AB 1211) Effective January 1, 2012.)