Terms Used In California Codes > Health and Safety Code > Division 10 > Chapter 11 - Educational Programs
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Bailiff: a court officer who enforces the rules of behavior in courtrooms.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Health and Safety Code 23
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.