(a) As used in this section, a managing general agent is a licensed property broker-agent and casualty broker-agent, or a life agent to whom all of the following apply:
(1) Has a written management contract and an appointment on file with the commissioner in accordance with Section 1704, which appointment is then in force, with one or more admitted insurers covering business transacted by the insurer in a substantial portion of the State of California.
(2) Under the contract specified in paragraph (1), manages the transaction of either all or one or more of the classes of insurance written by those insurers in that territory or the transactions therein by those insurers under a specified fictitious underwriter’s name.
(3) Has the power to appoint, supervise, and terminate the appointment of local agents in that territory.
(4) Has the power to accept or decline risks.
(5) Collects premium moneys from producing broker-agents and remits those moneys to those insurers pursuant to the account current system.
(b) The managing general agent shall, with respect to any principals for whom fiduciary funds are held, comply with Section 1734.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 411, Sec. 33. (AB 1416) Effective January 1, 2012.)