|Chapter 1||Extension of Public Works||2010 – 2014|
Terms Used In California Codes > Labor Code > Division 2 > Part 8
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Director: means the Director of Industrial Relations. See California Labor Code 3741
- employer: means :
California Labor Code 3300
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fund: means the Self-Insurers' Security Fund established pursuant to Section 3742. See California Labor Code 3741
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- injury: as used in this division , includes cancer, including leukemia, that develops or manifests itself during a period in which any member described in subdivision (a) is in the service of the department or unit, if the member demonstrates that he or she was exposed, while in the service of the department or unit, to a known carcinogen as defined by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, or as defined by the director. See California Public Utilities Code 102244
- Insolvent self-insurer: means a private self-insurer who has failed to pay compensation and whose security deposit has been called by the director pursuant to Section 3701. See California Labor Code 3741
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Member: means a private self-insurer which participates in the Self-Insurers' Security Fund. See California Labor Code 3741
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Private self-insurer: means a private employer which has secured the payment of compensation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 3700. See California Labor Code 3741
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Trustees: means the Board of Trustees of the Self-Insurers' Security Fund. See California Labor Code 3741
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.