California Codes > Labor Code > Division 4 > Part 3.5 – ARBITRATION
Current as of: 2023 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In California Codes > Labor Code > Division 4 > Part 3.5 - ARBITRATION
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Defense attorney: Represent defendants in criminal matters.
- department: refer to the Director and Department of Finance, respectively, unless the context otherwise requires. See California Government Code 13001
- employer: means :
California Labor Code 3300
- injury: as used in this division , includes cancer, including leukemia, that develops or manifests itself during a period in which any member described in subdivision (a) is in the service of the department or unit, if the member demonstrates that he or she was exposed, while in the service of the department or unit, to a known carcinogen as defined by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, or as defined by the director. See California Labor Code 3212.1
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Spouse: includes "registered domestic partner" as required by §. See California Code of Civil Procedure 17
- state agency: includes every state office, officer, department, division, bureau, board, and commission. See California Government Code 11000
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Variable Rate: Having a "variable" rate means that the APR changes from time to time based on fluctuations in an external rate, normally the Prime Rate. This external rate is known as the "index." If the index changes, the variable rate normally changes. Also see Fixed Rate.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.