Upon an appropriation in the Budget Act for that purpose, the authority shall prepare a plan for the construction and operation of a high-speed train network for the state, consistent with and continuing the work of the Intercity High-Speed Rail Commission conducted prior to January 1, 1997. The plan shall include an appropriate network of conventional intercity passenger rail service and shall be coordinated with existing and planned commuter and urban rail systems.
(a) The authorization and responsibility for planning, construction, and operation of high-speed passenger train service at speeds exceeding 125 miles per hour in this state is exclusively granted to the authority.
Terms Used In California Public Utilities Code 185032
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Authority: means the High-Speed Rail Authority. See California Public Utilities Code 185012
- Commission: means the Public Utilities Commission created by Section 1 of Article XII of the California Constitution, and "commissioner" means a member of the commission. See California Public Utilities Code 20
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Public Utilities Code 17
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Public Utilities Code 10
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (2), nothing in this subdivision precludes other local, regional, or state agencies from exercising powers provided by law with regard to planning or operating, or both, passenger rail service.
(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 728, Sec. 166. (SB 71) Effective January 1, 2013.)