Terms Used In California Codes > Public Utilities Code > Division 12.7 > Chapter 8
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Authority: means the Tri-Valley-San Joaquin Valley Regional Rail Authority created under this chapter. See California Public Utilities Code 132651
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Board: means the governing board of the authority. See California Public Utilities Code 132651
- City: includes city and county and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Public Utilities Code 19
- compensation: means the remuneration paid out of funds controlled by the employer in payment for the member's services performed during normal working hours or for time during which the member is excused from work because of any of the following:
California Government Code 20630
- Connectivity: means one or more projects necessary to achieve transit connectivity between BART's rapid transit system and the San Joaquin Regional Rail Commission's Altamont Corridor Express commuter rail service, and to provide quality, seamless service to riders using the services operating between the Tri-Valley and the San Joaquin Valley. See California Public Utilities Code 132651
- County: includes city and county. See California Public Utilities Code 18
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Tri-Valley: means the Cities of Danville, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, and San Ramon. See California Public Utilities Code 132651