As used in this section, sections 38a-478a to 38a-478o, inclusive, and subsection (a) of § 38a-478s:
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 38a-478
- Commissioner: means the Insurance Commissioner. See Connecticut General Statutes 38a-1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Insurance: means any agreement to pay a sum of money, provide services or any other thing of value on the happening of a particular event or contingency or to provide indemnity for loss in respect to a specified subject by specified perils in return for a consideration. See Connecticut General Statutes 38a-1
- Person: means an individual, a corporation, a partnership, a limited liability company, an association, a joint stock company, a business trust, an unincorporated organization or other legal entity. See Connecticut General Statutes 38a-1
- State: means any state, district, or territory of the United States. See Connecticut General Statutes 38a-1
(1) “Commissioner” means the Insurance Commissioner.
(2) “Covered benefit” or “benefit” means a health care service to which an enrollee is entitled under the terms of a health benefit plan.
(3) “Enrollee” means a person who has contracted for or who participates in a managed care plan for such person or such person’s eligible dependents.
(4) “Health care services” means services for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, cure or relief of a health condition, illness, injury or disease.
(5) “Managed care organization” means an insurer, health care center, hospital service corporation, medical service corporation or other organization delivering, issuing for delivery, renewing, amending or continuing any individual or group health managed care plan in this state.
(6) “Managed care plan” means a product offered by a managed care organization that provides for the financing or delivery of health care services to persons enrolled in the plan through: (A) Arrangements with selected providers to furnish health care services; (B) explicit standards for the selection of participating providers; (C) financial incentives for enrollees to use the participating providers and procedures provided for by the plan; or (D) arrangements that share risks with providers, provided the organization offering a plan described under subparagraph (A), (B), (C) or (D) of this subdivision is licensed by the Insurance Department pursuant to chapter 698, 698a or 700 and the plan includes utilization review, as defined in § 38a-591a.
(7) “Preferred provider network” has the same meaning as provided in § 38a-479aa.
(8) “Provider” or “health care provider” means a person licensed to provide health care services under chapters 370 to 373, inclusive, 375 to 383c, inclusive, 384a to 384c, inclusive, or chapter 400j.
(9) “Utilization review” has the same meaning as provided in § 38a-591a.
(10) “Utilization review company” has the same meaning as provided in § 38a-591a.