|Subchapter I||General Provisions||2301 – 2309|
|Subchapter II||Licensing||2310 – 2317|
Terms Used In Delaware Code > Title 24 > Chapter 23
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Automated kiosk: means an interactive device that is permanently installed within a secure retail space and that has the following technological functions:
- Buyer: means a person who buys or contracts to buy goods. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 2-103
- Child: means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Contract for sale: includes both a present sale of goods and a contract to sell goods at a future time. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 2-106
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Department: shall mean the Department of Safety and Homeland Security. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Director: shall mean the officer in charge of the Professional Licensing Section of the Division. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- Division: shall mean the Division of the Delaware State Police. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Grantee: includes every person to whom a freehold estate or interest is conveyed. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Grantor: includes every person by whom a freehold estate or interest is conveyed. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Pawnbroker: means any person, company, corporation, or member or members of a partnership or firm who:
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Scrap metal processor: means any person, company, corporation, or member or members of a partnership or firm engaged in the business of selling or receiving any worn out or discarded metal, old iron, used plumbing fixtures, other metals, automobiles, automobile parts, chain, copper, lead, brass, or other parts of machinery. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- secondhand dealer: includes any individual engaged in the business of receiving tangible personal property by means of an automated kiosk. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- Secretary: shall mean the Secretary of the Department of Safety and Homeland Security. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- Seller: means a person who sells or contracts to sell goods. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 2-103
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Superintendent: shall mean the Superintendent of the Division. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 2301
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.