|Subchapter I||Board of Cosmetology and Barbering||5100 – 5122|
|Subchapter II||Aesthetician License||5123 – 5135|
Terms Used In Delaware Code > Title 24 > Chapter 51
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Apprentice: means any person who is engaged in the learning of any or all the practices of cosmetology, barbering, nail technology or electrology from a practitioner licensed in the profession the apprentice is studying. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Barber: means any person licensed under this chapter who, for a monetary consideration, shaves or trims beards, cuts or dresses hair, gives facial or scalp massages, or treats beards or scalps with preparations made for this purpose. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Bingo: means a game of chance played for prizes with cards bearing numbers or other designations, 5 or more in 1 line, the holder covering numbers as objects similarly numbered are drawn from a receptacle and the game being won by the person who first covers a previously designated arrangement of numbers on such a card. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1524
- Board: means and refers to the state Board of Cosmetology and Barbering, as provided for in this chapter. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Board: means the Delaware Board of Charitable Gaming;
(2) "Districts" means those districts mentioned in article II, § 17A or § 17B of the state Constitution;
(3) "Game or games" means bingo, instant or sealed game, and charitable gaming;
(4) "Members-only game" means any game of chance open for participation only to members of the sponsoring organization;
(5) "Organization" means a veterans', religious or charitable organization, volunteer fire company or fraternal society as defined in article II, § 17A or § 17B of the state Constitution. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1502
- charitable gaming: means any game or scheme operated by an organization which has been in existence 2 years or longer in which chance is the dominant factor in the game, a consideration is paid to play and a prize may be won, excluding slot machines, roulette, craps or baccarat games. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1527
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Corridor route: means any existing or proposed road in an urban or rural area which is classified as part of the "principal arterial highway system" as defined in the National Highway Functional Classification Studies on record with the Department and which serves traffic corridor movements of substantial statewide or interstate travel and as to which the concept of service to abutting land is subordinate to the provisions of travel service to major traffic movements. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- Cosmetologist: means any person licensed under this chapter who is not an apprentice or student practicing cosmetology, who shall have the qualifications provided for by this chapter. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Cosmetology: includes any or all work done for compensation by any person, including, but not be limited to, the embellishment, cleansing and beautification of human hair, such as arranging, dressing, curling, permanent waving, cutting, singeing, pressing, chemically bleaching or coloring, chemically straightening, or similar work, as well as the removal of superfluous hair and nail technology. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Cosmetology shop: means any place or part thereof wherein cosmetology, barbering, electrology, nail technology, aesthetics, or any of their practices, are performed for compensation, whether or not the establishment holds itself out as a cosmetology shop. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Court reporter: A person who makes a word-for-word record of what is said in court and produces a transcript of the proceedings upon request.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Department: means the Department of Transportation. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- Deputy Secretary: means the Deputy Secretary of the Department of Transportation. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Director: means the Director of the Transportation Authority and/or the Director of the Division of Highways and/or the Director of the Office of Administration. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- Division: means the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Division: means the Division of Highways. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Electrologist: means any person licensed under this chapter who, for a monetary consideration, engages in the removal of superfluous hair by use of specially designed electric needles. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Instructor: means any person who teaches cosmetology, barbering, electrology or nail technology. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Master barber: means any person licensed under this chapter who, for a monetary consideration, shaves or trims beards, gives facial or scalp massages, treats beards or scalps with preparations made for this purpose, or embellishes, cleans or beautifies human hair, which includes arranging, dressing, curling, permanent waving, cutting, singeing, pressing, chemically bleaching or coloring, chemically straightening, or similar work. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Nail technician: means any person licensed under this chapter who engages only in the practice of manicuring, pedicuring or sculpting nails, including acrylic nails, of any person. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Oath: includes affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and "sworn" includes affirmed; and the forms shall be varied accordingly. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means a corporation, company, association or partnership, as well as an individual. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Professional-in-charge: means a licensee who is responsible for the operation of a cosmetology shop, including ensuring that all employees are licensed, where required by law. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- raffle: means a form of lottery in which a number of persons buy 1 or more chances attempting to win the same prize. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1533
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- school of barbering: means any place or part thereof where cosmetology, barbering, electrology, nail technology or any of the practices are taught, whether or not such place holds itself out as such. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Department of Transportation. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- State: means the State of Delaware. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- state contiguous to this State: shall mean any state having a common border with this State. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5124
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Substantially related: means the nature of the criminal conduct, for which the person was convicted, has a direct bearing on the fitness or ability to perform 1 or more of the duties or responsibilities necessarily related to cosmetology, barbering, electrology, nail technology or aesthetics. See Delaware Code Title 24 Sec. 5101
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Transportation Authority: means Delaware Transportation Authority. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1521
- Year: means a calendar year, and is equivalent to the words "year of our Lord. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307