Terms Used In Delaware Code > Title 29 > Chapter 90
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Agency: means any office, department, board, commission or other separate unit of government of this State, including all branches of government: Executive, legislative and judicial. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 502
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Board: means the Delaware Board of Charitable Gaming;
(2) "Districts" means those districts mentioned in article II, § 17A or § 17B of the state Constitution;
(3) "Game or games" means bingo, instant or sealed game, and charitable gaming;
(4) "Members-only game" means any game of chance open for participation only to members of the sponsoring organization;
(5) "Organization" means a veterans', religious or charitable organization, volunteer fire company or fraternal society as defined in article II, § 17A or § 17B of the state Constitution. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1502
- charitable gaming: means any game or scheme operated by an organization which has been in existence 2 years or longer in which chance is the dominant factor in the game, a consideration is paid to play and a prize may be won, excluding slot machines, roulette, craps or baccarat games. See Delaware Code Title 28 Sec. 1527
- Child: means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Local government: means any county, city, town, municipality or other government, created by an act of the General Assembly, that is not a state agency, department, board or commission. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 502
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Political subdivision: includes counties, cities, towns, districts, authorities and other public corporations and entities whether mandated by the Constitution or formed by an act of the General Assembly. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 502
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public record: means any document, book, photographic image, electronic data recording, paper, sound recording or other material regardless of physical form or characteristics, including electronic records created or maintained in electronic information systems, made, used, produced, composed, drafted or otherwise compiled or collected or received in connection with the transaction of public business or in any way related to public purposes by any officer or employee of this State or any political subdivision thereof. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 502
- real property: is synonymous with the phrase "lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Records officer: means any person or persons designated according to the provisions of this chapter, whose responsibilities include the development and oversight of agency or local government records management programs. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 502
- Vital records: means those records which contain information required for government to continue functioning during a disaster, protect the rights of Delaware citizens and document the obligations of Delaware government, and reestablish operations after a calamity has ended. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 502
- Year: means a calendar year, and is equivalent to the words "year of our Lord. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307