Effective date: 1/18/2018
(1) Calling a Recall Meeting. Regardless of any provision to the contrary in the condominium documents, 10 percent of the voting interests may call a meeting of the unit owners to recall one or more members of the board by the voting interests giving the notice specified in paragraphs (2)(a) and (b), below. As utilized in this rule, the phrase “condominium documents” means the recorded declaration of condominium and all recorded exhibits and amendments thereto, and the articles of incorporation and bylaws of the condominium association in effect, and any amendments to each which are in effect.
Terms Used In Florida Regulations 61B-23.0027
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
(a) Signature List. Prior to noticing a unit owner meeting to recall one or more members of the board, a list shall be circulated for the purpose of obtaining signatures of not less than 10 percent of the voting interests. The signature list shall:
1. State that the purpose for obtaining signatures is to call a unit owner meeting to recall one or more members of the board;
2. State that replacement board members shall be elected at the meeting if a majority or more of the existing board members are successfully recalled at the meeting; and,
3. Contain lines for the voting interest to fill in his unit number, signature and date of signature.
(b) Recall Meeting Notice. The recall meeting notice shall:
1. State that the purpose of the unit owner meeting is to recall one or more members of the board and, if a majority or more of the board is subject to recall, the notice shall also state that an election to replace recalled board members will be conducted at the meeting;
2. List by name each board member sought to be recalled at the meeting, even if every board member is sought to be recalled;
3. Specify a person, other than a board member subject to recall at the meeting, who shall determine whether a quorum is present, call the meeting to order, preside, and proceed as provided in paragraph (3)(b), of this rule;
4. List at least as many eligible persons who are willing to be candidates for replacement board members as there are board members sought to be recalled, in those cases where a majority or more of the board is sought to be recalled. Candidates for replacement board members shall not be listed when a minority of the board is sought to be recalled, as the remaining members of the board may appoint replacements. In addition, the notice must state that nominations for replacement board members may be taken from the floor at the meeting;
5. Have attached to it a copy of the signature list referred to in paragraph (2)(a), above;
6. Be mailed or delivered to all unit owners at least 10 days prior to the meeting, if the association is incorporated, unless a different time for notice of the meeting is provided in the condominium documents. If the association is unincorporated, notice shall be mailed or delivered according to the time requirements stated in the condominium documents for sending unit owner meeting notices; and,
7. Be delivered to the board at least 10 days prior to the recall meeting, unless the condominium documents provide a different notice requirement. The notice shall become an official record of the association upon actual receipt by the board.
(3) Recall Meeting; Electing Replacements.
(a) Date for Recall Meeting. If the association is incorporated, a recall meeting shall be held not less than 10 days nor more than 60 days from the date when the notice of the recall meeting is mailed or delivered, unless otherwise provided in the condominium documents. If the association is unincorporated, the meeting shall be held within the times required by the condominium documents.
(b) Conducting the Recall Meeting. After determining that a quorum exists (proxies may be used to establish a quorum) and the meeting is called to order, the voting interests shall proceed, as follows:
1. A representative to receive pleadings (e.g., copies of a petition for recall arbitration; motions), notices, or other papers on behalf of the recalling unit owners in the event the board disputes the recall, shall be elected or designated by the presiding officer.
2. A person to record the minutes of the recall meeting, who shall not be a board member subject to recall at that meeting, shall be elected or designated by the presiding officer.
3. The requirements of this subsection do not prohibit the voting interests from electing one person to perform one or more of these functions.
(c) Recall Meeting Minutes. The minutes of the recall meeting shall:
1. Record the date and time the recall meeting was called to order and adjourned;
2. Record the name or names of the person or persons chosen as the presiding officer, the recorder of the official minutes and the unit owner representative’s name and address;
3. Record the vote count taken on each member of the board sought to be recalled;
4. State whether the recall was effective as to each member sought to be recalled;
5. Record the vote count taken on each candidate to replace the board members subject to recall and, if applicable, the specific seat each replacement board member was elected to, in those cases where a majority or more of the existing board was subject to recall; and,
6. Be delivered to the board and, upon such delivery to the board, become an official record of the association.
(d) Separate Recall Vote. The voting interests shall vote to recall each board member separately, unless otherwise provided in the declaration or bylaws.
(e) Filling Vacancies. When the voting interests have recalled one or more board members at a unit owner meeting, the following provisions apply regarding the filling of vacancies on the board:
1. If less than a majority of the existing board is recalled at the meeting, no election of replacement board members shall be conducted at the unit owner meeting as the existing board may, in its discretion, fill these vacancies, subject to the provisions of Florida Statutes § 718.301, and Rules 61B-23.003 and 61B-23.0026, F.A.C., by the affirmative vote of the remaining board members. In the alternative, if less than a majority of the existing board is recalled at the unit owner meeting, the board may call and conduct an election which meets the requirements of Section 718.112(2)(d), F.S., and Rule 61B-23.0021, F.A.C., to fill a vacancy or vacancies;
2. If a majority or more of the existing board is recalled at the meeting, an election, which is subject to the provisions of Florida Statutes § 718.301, and Rules 61B-23.003 and 61B-23.0026, F.A.C., shall be conducted at the recall meeting to fill vacancies on the board occurring as a result of recall. The voting interests may vote in person or by limited proxy to elect replacement board members in an amount equal to the number of recalled board members.
(f) After adjournment of the meeting to recall one or more members of the board of administration. Any rescission of an individual unit owner vote or any additional unit owner votes received in regard to the recall shall be ineffective.
(4) Substantial compliance with the provisions of subsections (1), (2) and (3), of this rule, shall be required for the effective recall of a board member or members.
Rulemaking Authority 718.112(2)(j)6., FS. Law Implemented 718.112(2)(j) FS. History—New 12-20-92, Formerly 7D-23.0027, Amended 8-24-94, 12-20-95, 2-19-01, 1-18-18.