Effective date: 1/18/2018
(1) Form of Written Agreement. All written agreements used for the purpose of recalling one or more members of the board of administration shall:
(a) List by name each board member sought to be recalled;
Terms Used In Florida Regulations 61B-23.0028
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
(b) Provide spaces by the name of each board member sought to be recalled so that the person executing the agreement may indicate whether that individual board member should be recalled or retained;
(c) List, in the form of a ballot, at least as many eligible persons who are willing to be candidates for replacement board members as there are board members subject to recall, in those cases where a majority or more of the board is sought to be recalled. Candidates for replacement members shall not be listed when a minority of the board is sought to be recalled, as the remaining board may appoint replacements. A space shall be provided by the name of each candidate so that the person executing the agreement may vote for as many replacement candidates as there are board members sought to be recalled. A space shall be provided and designated for write-in votes. The failure to comply with the requirements of this subsection shall not effect the validity of the recall of a board member or members;
(d) Provide a space for the person signing the written agreement to state his name, identify his unit and indicate the date the written agreement is signed;
(e) Provide a signature line for the person executing the written agreement to affirm that he is authorized in the manner required by the condominium documents to cast the vote for that unit;
(f) Designate a representative who shall open the written agreements, tally the votes, serve copies on the board and, in the event the board does not certify the recall by written agreement and files a petition for arbitration, receive pleadings (e.g., copies of a petition for recall arbitration; motions), notices, or other papers on behalf of the persons executing the written agreement;
(g) The written agreement or a copy shall be served on the board by certified mail or by personal service. Service on the board after 5:00 p.m. on a business day or on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, as prescribed by Florida Statutes § 110.117, shall be deemed effective as of the next business day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday. Service of the written agreement on an officer, association manager, board member or the association’s registered agent will be deemed effective service on the association. Service upon an attorney who has represented the association in other legal matters will not be effective on the association unless that attorney is a board member, the association’s registered agent, or has otherwise been retained by the association to represent it in the recall proceeding. Personal service shall be effected in accordance with the procedures set out in Chapter 48, F.S., and the procedures for service of subpoenas as set out in Rule 1.410(d), Florida Rules of Civil Procedure; and
(h) Become an official record of the association upon service upon the board.
(i) Written recall ballots in a recall by written agreement may be reused in one subsequent recall effort. Written recall ballots do not expire through the passage of time, however, written recall ballots become void with respect to the board member sought to be recalled where that board member is elected during a regularly scheduled election.
(j) Written recall ballots may be executed by an individual holding a power of attorney or limited proxy given by the unit owner(s) of record.
(k) Any rescission or revocation of a unit owner’s written recall ballot or agreement must be done in writing and must be delivered to the board prior to the board being served the written recall agreements.
(2) Substantial compliance with the provisions of subsection (1), of this rule, shall be required for an effective recall of a board member or members.
(3) After service of a written agreement on the board any written rescission of an individual unit owner vote or any additional unit owner votes received in regard to the recall shall be ineffective.
Rulemaking Authority 718.112(2)(j)6. FS. Law Implemented 718.112(2)(j) FS. History—New 12-20-92, Formerly 7D-23.0028, Amended 12-20-95, 2-19-01, 6-7-04, 1-18-18.