Terms Used In Florida Statutes 121.5912
- Benefit: means any pension payment, lump-sum or periodic, to a member, retiree, or beneficiary, based partially or entirely on employer contributions or employee contributions, if applicable. See Florida Statutes 121.021
- Department: means the Department of Management Services. See Florida Statutes 121.021
- Division: means the Division of Retirement in the department. See Florida Statutes 121.021
- investment plan: means the defined contribution program established under this part. See Florida Statutes 121.4501
- State board: means the State Board of Administration. See Florida Statutes 121.021
- system: means the general retirement system established by this chapter, including, but not limited to, the defined benefit program administered under this part, referred to as the "Florida Retirement System Pension Plan" or "pension plan" and the defined contribution program administered under part II of this chapter, referred to as the "Florida Retirement System Investment Plan" or "investment plan. See Florida Statutes 121.021
It is the intent of the Legislature that the survivor benefit retirement program for members of the Florida Retirement System Investment Plan meet all applicable requirements for a qualified plan. If the state board or the division receives notification from the Internal Revenue Service that this program or any portion of this program will cause the retirement system, or any portion thereof, to be disqualified for tax purposes under the Internal Revenue Code, the portion that will cause the disqualification does not apply. Upon such notice, the state board or the division shall notify the presiding officers of the Legislature. The state board and the department may adopt any rules necessary to maintain the qualified status of the survivor benefit retirement program.