Terms Used In Florida Statutes 257.38
- Division: means the Division of Library and Information Services of the Department of State. See Florida Statutes 257.015
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
(1) For purposes of this section, “nonpublic manuscript or other archival material” means a manuscript or archival material that is not otherwise made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by any governmental agency.
(2) All public records transferred to the custody of the division shall be subject to the provisions of s. 119.07(1), except that any public record or other record provided by law to be confidential or prohibited from inspection by the public shall be made accessible only after a period of 50 years from the date of the creation of the record.
(3) Any nonpublic manuscript or other archival material which is placed in the keeping of the division under special terms and conditions shall be made accessible only in accordance with such terms and conditions and shall be exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1) to the extent necessary to meet the terms and conditions for a nonpublic manuscript or other archival material.
(4) Any nonpublic manuscript or other archival material that is donated to and held by an official archive of a municipality or county contingent upon special terms and conditions that limit the right to inspect or copy such manuscript or other material is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution, except as otherwise provided in the special terms and conditions. A nonpublic manuscript or other archival material received under special terms and conditions as authorized by this subsection shall be made available for inspection and copying 50 years after the date of the creation of the nonpublic manuscript or other archival material, at an earlier date specified in the special terms or conditions, or upon a showing of good cause before a court of competent jurisdiction.