Terms Used In Florida Statutes 893.06
- Controlled substance: means any substance named or described in Schedules I-V of…. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Dispense: means the transfer of possession of one or more doses of a medicinal drug by a pharmacist or other licensed practitioner to the ultimate consumer thereof or to one who represents that it is his or her intention not to consume or use the same but to transfer the same to the ultimate consumer or user for consumption by the ultimate consumer or user. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Distribute: means to deliver, other than by administering or dispensing, a controlled substance. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Distributor: means a person who distributes. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Hospital: means an institution for the care and treatment of the sick and injured, licensed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 395 or owned or operated by the state or Federal Government. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Laboratory: means a laboratory approved by the Drug Enforcement Administration as proper to be entrusted with the custody of controlled substances for scientific, medical, or instructional purposes or to aid law enforcement officers and prosecuting attorneys in the enforcement of this chapter. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Manufacturer: means and includes every person who prepares, derives, produces, compounds, or repackages any drug as defined by the Florida Drug and Cosmetic Act. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Patient: means an individual to whom a controlled substance is lawfully dispensed or administered pursuant to the provisions of this chapter. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- person: includes individuals, children, firms, associations, joint adventures, partnerships, estates, trusts, business trusts, syndicates, fiduciaries, corporations, and all other groups or combinations. See Florida Statutes 1.01
- Pharmacist: means a person who is licensed pursuant to chapter 465 to practice the profession of pharmacy in this state. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- political subdivision: include counties, cities, towns, villages, special tax school districts, special road and bridge districts, bridge districts, and all other districts in this state. See Florida Statutes 1.01
- Practitioner: means a physician licensed under chapter 458, a dentist licensed under chapter 466, a veterinarian licensed under chapter 474, an osteopathic physician licensed under chapter 459, an advanced practice registered nurse licensed under chapter 464, a naturopath licensed under chapter 462, a certified optometrist licensed under chapter 463, a psychiatric nurse as defined in…. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Prescription: includes any order for drugs or medicinal supplies which is written or transmitted by any means of communication by a licensed practitioner authorized by the laws of this state to prescribe such drugs or medicinal supplies, is issued in good faith and in the course of professional practice, is intended to be dispensed by a person authorized by the laws of this state to do so, and meets the requirements of…. See Florida Statutes 893.02
- Wholesaler: means any person who acts as a jobber, wholesale merchant, or broker, or an agent thereof, who sells or distributes for resale any drug as defined by the Florida Drug and Cosmetic Act. See Florida Statutes 893.02
(1) Controlled substances in Schedules I and II shall be distributed by a duly licensed manufacturer, distributor, or wholesaler to a duly licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, distributor, practitioner, pharmacy, as defined in chapter 465, hospital, or laboratory only pursuant to an order form. It shall be deemed a compliance with this subsection if the parties to the transaction have complied with federal law respecting the use of order forms.
(2) Possession or control of controlled substances obtained as authorized by this section shall be lawful if in the regular course of business, occupation, profession, employment, or duty.
(3) A person in charge of a hospital or laboratory or in the employ of this state or of any other state, or of any political subdivision thereof, and a master or other proper officer of a ship or aircraft, who obtains controlled substances under the provisions of this section or otherwise, shall not administer, dispense, or otherwise use such controlled substances within this state, except within the scope of her or his employment or official duty, and then only for scientific or medicinal purposes and subject to the provisions of this chapter.
(4) It shall be unlawful to distribute a controlled substance in a commercial container unless such container bears a label showing the name and address of the manufacturer, the quantity, kind, and form of controlled substance contained therein, and the identifying symbol for such substance, as required by federal law. No person except a pharmacist, for the purpose of dispensing a prescription, or a practitioner, for the purpose of dispensing a controlled substance to a patient, shall alter, deface, or remove any labels so affixed.