Florida Statutes > Chapter 751 – Temporary Custody of Minor Children by Extended Family
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Florida Statutes > Chapter 751 - Temporary Custody of Minor Children by Extended Family
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Concurrent custody: means that an eligible extended family member is awarded custodial rights to care for a child concurrently with the child's parent or parents. See Florida Statutes 751.011
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Donee: The recipient of a gift.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Extended family member: means a person who is:(a) A relative of a minor child within the third degree by blood or marriage to the parent;(b) The stepparent of a minor child if the stepparent is currently married to the parent of the child and is not a party in a pending dissolution, separate maintenance, domestic violence, or other civil or criminal proceeding in any court of competent jurisdiction involving one or both of the child's parents as an adverse party; or(c) An individual who qualifies as "fictive kin" as defined in…. See Florida Statutes 751.011
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- minor: includes any person who has not attained the age of 18 years. See Florida Statutes 1.01
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Per stirpes: The legal means by which the children of a decedent, upon the death of an ancestor at a level above that of the decedent, receive by right of representation the share of the ancestor
- person: includes individuals, children, firms, associations, joint adventures, partnerships, estates, trusts, business trusts, syndicates, fiduciaries, corporations, and all other groups or combinations. See Florida Statutes 1.01
- Probate: Proving a will
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- writing: includes handwriting, printing, typewriting, and all other methods and means of forming letters and characters upon paper, stone, wood, or other materials. See Florida Statutes 1.01