[ 454M-8.3] Confidentiality. (a) Except as otherwise provided in Public Law 110-289, section 1512, the requirements under any federal or state law regarding the privacy or confidentiality of any information or material provided to NMLS, and any privilege arising under federal or state law, including the rules of any federal or state court, with respect to the information or material shall continue to apply to the information or material after the information or material has been disclosed to NMLS. The information and material may be shared with all state and federal regulatory officials with mortgage servicer industry oversight authority without the loss of privilege or the loss of confidentiality protections provided by federal or state law.
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes 454M-8.3
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
(b) For these purposes, the commissioner is authorized to enter into agreements or sharing arrangements with other governmental agencies, the Conference of State Bank Supervisors, the American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators, or other associations representing governmental agencies as established by rule or order of the commissioner.
(c) Information or material that is subject to a privilege or confidentiality under subsection (a) shall not be subject to:
(1) Disclosure under any federal or state law governing the disclosure to the public of information held by an officer or an agency of the federal government or a state; or
(2) Subpoena or discovery, or admission into evidence, in any private civil action or administrative process, unless with respect to any privilege held by NMLS applicable to the information or material; provided that the person to whom the information or material pertains waives, in whole or in part, in the discretion of such person, that privilege.
(d) Notwithstanding chapter 92F, the examination process and related information and documents, including the reports of examination, are confidential and are not subject to discovery or disclosure in civil or criminal lawsuits.
(e) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, the disclosure of confidential supervisory information or any information or material described in subsection (a) that is inconsistent with subsection (a) shall be superseded by the requirements of this section.
(f) This section shall not apply to information or material relating to the employment history of, and publicly adjudicated disciplinary and enforcement actions against, mortgage servicers that are included in NMLS for access by the public.