Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 490 > ARTICLE 4A > Part 2 - Issue and Acceptance of Payment Order
- Advanced practice registered nurse: means a person licensed pursuant to chapter 457. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Alcohol dependence: means any use of alcohol which produces a pattern of pathological use causing impairment in social or occupational functioning or produces physiological dependency evidenced by physical tolerance or withdrawal. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Alcohol or drug dependence outpatient services: means alcohol or drug dependence nonresidential treatment provided on an ambulatory basis to patients with alcohol or drug dependence problems that includes interventions prescribed and performed by qualified physicians, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed marriage and family therapists, licensed mental health [counselors], or advanced practice registered nurses. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Certified substance abuse counselor: means a person who is certified pursuant to § 321-193. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- county: includes the city and county of Honolulu. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 1-22
- Day treatment services: means treatment services provided by a hospital, mental health outpatient facility, or nonhospital facility to patients who, because of their conditions, require more than periodic hourly service. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Detoxification services: means the process whereby a person intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, or both, or a person who is dependent upon alcohol, drugs, or both, is assisted through the period of time necessary to eliminate, by metabolic or other means, the intoxicating alcohol or drug dependency factors, as determined by a physician or advanced practice registered nurse, while keeping the physiological risk to the person at a minimum. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Driver: means every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- Drug dependence: means any pattern of pathological use of drugs causing impairment in social or occupational functioning and producing psychological or physiological dependency or both, evidenced by physical tolerance or withdrawal. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Escheat: Reversion of real or personal property to the state when 1) a person dies without leaving a will and has no heirs, or 2) when the property (such as a bank account) has been inactive for a certain period of time. Source: OCC
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Hospital: means a facility licensed as a hospital by the department of health and accredited by The Joint Commission. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- In-hospital services: means the provision of medical, nursing, or therapeutic services twenty-four hours a day in a hospital. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Licensed clinical social worker: means a person who is a licensed clinical social worker pursuant to chapter 467E. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Licensed dietitian: means a person who uses the title of licensed dietitian or dietitian and has been licensed to practice dietetics under chapter 448B. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Licensed marriage and family therapist: means a person licensed in marriage and family therapy practice pursuant to chapter 451J. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Licensed mental health counselor: means a person:
(1) Who engages in the practice of [mental] health counseling and uses the title of licensed mental health counselor;
(2) Who is licensed in mental health counseling practice pursuant to chapter 453D; and
(3) Whose license is in effect and not revoked or suspended. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mental health outpatient facility: means a mental health establishment, clinic, institution, center, or community mental health center that provides for the diagnosis, treatment, care, or rehabilitation of mentally ill persons and has been accredited by The Joint Commission or the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities or certified by the department of health. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Mental illness: means a syndrome of clinically significant psychological, biological, or behavioral abnormalities that results in personal distress or suffering, impairment of capacity for functioning, or both. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Motor vehicle: means every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power but not operated upon rails but excludes a moped. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- Nonhospital facility: means a facility for the care or treatment of alcohol dependent, drug dependent, or mentally ill persons that has been accredited by The Joint Commission or the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities or certified by the department of health and, if residential, has been licensed as a special treatment facility by the department of health. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Owner: means a person, other than a lien holder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- parking: means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- Partial hospitalization: means treatment services, including in-hospital treatment services or benefits, provided by a hospital or mental health outpatient facility to patients who, because of their conditions, require more than periodic hourly service. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Pedestrian: means any person afoot, in an invalid chair, or in a vehicle propelled by a person afoot. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- Physician: means a person licensed in the practice of medicine or osteopathy pursuant to chapter 453. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Police officer: means every officer authorized to direct or regulate traffic or to make arrests for violations of traffic regulations. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- Psychologist: means a person licensed in the practice of psychology pursuant to chapter 465. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Qualified: means :
(1) Having skill in the diagnosis or treatment of substance use disorders, based on a practitioner's credentials, including but not limited to professional education, clinical training, licensure, board or other certification, clinical experience, letters of reference, other professional qualifications, and disciplinary action; or
(2) Being a licensed physician, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, licensed marriage and family therapist, licensed mental health counselor, or advanced practice registered nurse, and certified pursuant to chapter 321. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Substance abuse services: means the provision of medical, psychological, nursing, counseling, or therapeutic services in response to a treatment plan for alcohol or drug dependence or both which shall include, when appropriate, a combination of aftercare and individual, group, and family counseling services provided by qualified staff. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Traffic: means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1
- Treatment episode: means one admission to an accredited hospital or nonhospital facility, or office of a qualified physician, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, licensed marriage and family therapist, licensed mental health counselor, or advanced practice registered nurse for treatment of alcohol or drug dependence, or both, as stipulated in a prescribed treatment plan and that would generally produce remission in those who complete the treatment. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431M-1
- Vehicle: means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a roadway or highway, including mopeds and bicycles, but excluding toy bicycles, devices other than bicycles moved by human power, and devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 291C-1