Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 18 > Chapter 84
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- juvenile sex offender: means a person who was between fourteen (14) years of age to eighteen (18) years of age at the time the qualifying sex offense was committed and who:
(1) On or after July 1, 1998, was adjudicated delinquent under the juvenile corrections act for an action that would be an offense enumerated in section 18-8304, Idaho Code, if committed by an adult; or
(2) As of July 1, 1998, is serving formal probation, a period of detention, or commitment to the department of juvenile corrections as the result of sentencing imposed under section 20-520, Idaho Code, for an action that would be an offense enumerated in section 18-8304, Idaho Code, if committed by an adult; or
(3) Was adjudicated delinquent in another state for an action that is substantially equivalent to the offenses enumerated in section 18-8304, Idaho Code, and is subject on or after July 1, 1998, to Idaho court jurisdiction under the interstate compact on juveniles; or
(4) Is required to register in another state for having committed a sex offense in that state regardless of the date of the offense or its adjudication. See Idaho Code 18-8403
Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114