Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 31 > Chapter 35
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Applicant: means any person who is requesting financial assistance under this chapter. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Application: means the combined application for state and county medical assistance pursuant to sections 31-3504 and 31-3503E, Idaho Code. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Board: means the board of the catastrophic health care cost program, as established in section 31-3517, Idaho Code. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Case management: means coordination of services to help meet a patient’s health care needs, usually when the patient has a condition that requires multiple services. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Clerk: means the clerk of the respective counties or his or her designee. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Completed application: shall include at a minimum the cover sheet requesting services, applicant information including diagnosis and requests for services and signatures, personal and financial information of the applicant and obligated person or persons, patient rights and responsibilities, releases and all other signatures required in the application. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County commissioners: means the board of county commissioners in their respective counties. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- County hospital: means any county approved institution or facility for the care of sick persons. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Department: means the department of health and welfare. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Dependent: means any person whom a taxpayer claims as a dependent under the income tax laws of the state of Idaho. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Hospital: means a facility licensed and regulated pursuant to sections 39-1301 through 39-1314, Idaho Code, or an out-of-state hospital providing necessary medical services for residents of Idaho, wherein a reciprocal agreement exists, in accordance with section 31-3503B, Idaho Code, excluding state institutions. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Medicaid eligibility review: means the process used by the department to determine whether a person meets the criteria for medicaid coverage. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Medical home: means a model of primary and preventive care delivery in which the patient has a continuous relationship with a personal physician in a physician directed medical practice that is whole person oriented and where care is integrated and coordinated. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Medically indigent: means any person who is in need of necessary medical services and who, if an adult, together with his or her spouse, or whose parents or guardian if a minor or dependent, does not have income and other resources available to him from whatever source sufficient to pay for necessary medical services. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Idaho Code 73-114
- Necessary medical services: means health care services and supplies that:
Idaho Code 31-3502
Oath: A promise to tell the truth. Obligated person: means the person or persons who are legally responsible for an applicant including, but not limited to, parents of minors or dependents. See Idaho Code 31-3502 person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, evidences of debt and general intangibles as defined in the uniform commercial code — secured transactions. See Idaho Code 73-114 Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way. President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service. Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government. Provider: means any person, firm or corporation certified or licensed by the state of Idaho or holding an equivalent license or certification in another state, that provides necessary medical services to a patient requesting a medically indigent status determination or filing an application for financial assistance. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. Recipient: means an individual determined eligible for financial assistance under this chapter. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Reimbursement rate: means the unadjusted medicaid rate of reimbursement for medical charges allowed pursuant to title XIX of the social security act, as amended, that is in effect at the time service is rendered. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. Resident: means a person with a home, house, place of abode, place of habitation, dwelling or place where he or she actually lived for a consecutive period of thirty (30) days or more within the state of Idaho. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Resources: means all property, for which an applicant and/or an obligated person may be eligible or in which he or she may have an interest, whether tangible or intangible, real or personal, liquid or nonliquid, or pending, including, but not limited to, all forms of public assistance, crime victims compensation, worker’s compensation, veterans benefits, medicaid, medicare, supplemental security income (SSI), third party insurance, other insurance or apply for section 1011 of the medicare modernization act of 2003, if applicable, and any other property from any source. See Idaho Code 31-3502 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights. Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries. Third party applicant: means a person other than an obligated person who completes, signs and files an application on behalf of a patient. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Third party insurance: means casualty insurance, disability insurance, health insurance, life insurance, marine and transportation insurance, motor vehicle insurance, property insurance or any other insurance coverage that may pay for a resident’s medical bills. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Utilization management: means the evaluation of medical necessity, appropriateness and efficiency of the use of health care services, procedures and facilities. See Idaho Code 31-3502