Illinois Compiled Statutes > Chapter 765 > Future Interests
Current as of: 2023 | Check for updates | Other versions
|765 ILCS 330||Rights of Entry or Re-entry Act|
|765 ILCS 335||Surrender or Merger of Reversion Act|
|765 ILCS 340||Contingent Remainder Act|
|765 ILCS 345||Rule in Shelley’s Case Abolishment Act|
|765 ILCS 350||Doctrine of Worthier Title Abolishment Act|
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > Chapter 765 > Future Interests
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Carrier: means any motor carrier or rail carrier other than a private carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Commission: means the Illinois Commerce Commission. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Heretofore: means any time previous to the day on which the statute takes effect; and the word "hereafter" at any time after such day. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.17
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.36
- Interstate carrier: means any person engaged in the for-hire transportation of persons or property in interstate or foreign commerce in this State, whether or not such transportation is pursuant to authority issued to it by the Interstate Commerce Commission. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Interstate commerce: means commerce between a point in the State of Illinois and a point outside the State of Illinois, or between points outside the State of Illinois when such commerce moves through Illinois, or between points in Illinois moving through another state in a bona fide operation that is either exempt from federal regulation or moves under a certificate or permit issued by the Interstate Commerce Commission authorizing interstate transportation, whether such commerce moves wholly by motor vehicle or partly by motor vehicle and partly by any other regulated means of transportation where the commodity does not come to rest or change its identity during the movement, and includes commerce originating or terminating in a foreign country moving through the State of Illinois. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Intrastate commerce: means commerce moving wholly between points within the State of Illinois, whether such commerce moves wholly by one transportation mode or partly by one mode and partly by any other mode of transportation. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- License: means any certificate, permit, broker's license, or other license issued under this Chapter. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Motor carrier: means any person engaged in the transportation of property or passengers, or both, for hire, over the public roads of this State, by motor vehicle. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle, truck, trucktractor, trailer or semitrailer propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used upon the highways of the State in the transportation of property or passengers. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Notice: means with regard to all proceedings except enforcement proceedings instituted on the motion of the Commission, and except for interstate motor carrier registrations, public notice by publication in the official state newspaper, unless otherwise provided in this Chapter. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- oath: shall be deemed to include an affirmation, and the word "sworn" shall be construed to include the word "affirmed. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.12
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Official state newspaper: means the newspaper designated and certified to the Commission annually by the Director of Central Management Services of the State of Illinois, or, if said Director fails to certify to the Commission the name and address of the official newspaper selected by the Director prior to expiration of the previous certification, the newspaper designated in the most recent certification. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Party: means any person admitted as a party to a Commission proceeding or seeking and entitled as a matter of right to admission as a party to a Commission proceeding. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Permit: means a permit issued under this Chapter to contract carriers of property by motor vehicle. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Person: means any natural person or legal entity, whether such entity is a proprietorship, partnership, corporation, association, or other entity, and, where a provision concerns the acts or omissions of a person, includes the partners, officers, employees, and agents of the person, as well as any trustees, assignees, receivers, or personal representatives of the person. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Rate: means every individual or joint rate, fare, toll, or charge of any carrier or carriers, any provisions relating to application thereof, and any tariff or schedule containing rates and provisions. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transportation: means the actual movement of property or passengers by motor vehicle (without regard to ownership of vehicles or equipment used in providing transportation service) or rail together with loading, unloading, and any other accessorial or ancillary service provided by the carrier in connection with movement by motor vehicle or rail, which is performed by or on behalf of the carriers, its employees or agents, or under the authority or direction of the carrier or under the apparent authority or direction and with the knowledge of the carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Wills: includes codicils. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.13