Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 11 > Article 8
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- compelling public interest: means any condition in which there is a question of:
Indiana Code 11-8-5-0.5
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- correctional facility: has the meaning set forth in IC 5-1. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-1
- electronic chat room username: means an identifier that allows a person to communicate over the Internet in real time using typed text. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-1.2
- electronic mail address: means a destination, commonly expressed as a string of characters, to which electronic mail may be sent or delivered. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-1.4
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Extradition: The formal process of delivering an accused or convicted person from authorities in one state to authorities in another state.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- instant messaging username: means an identifier that allows a person to communicate over the Internet in real time using typed text. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-1.6
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- local law enforcement authority: means the:
Indiana Code 11-8-8-2
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- personal information: has the meaning set out in IC 4-1-6-1. See Indiana Code 11-8-5-1
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- principal residence: means the residence where a sex or violent offender spends the most time. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-3
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Probation officers: Screen applicants for pretrial release and monitor convicted offenders released under court supervision.
- real property: include lands, tenements, and hereditaments. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- register: means to report in person to a local law enforcement authority and provide the information required under section 8 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-4
- sex offender: means a person convicted of any of the following offenses:
Indiana Code 11-8-8-4.5
- sex or violent offender: means a person convicted of any of the following offenses:
Indiana Code 11-8-8-5
- sexually violent predator: has the meaning set forth in IC 35-38-1-7. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-6
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- social networking web site username: means an identifier or profile that allows a person to create, use, or modify a social networking web site, as defined in IC 35-31. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-1.8
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.