Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 22 > Article 2
- active duty: means full-time service on active duty orders in:
Indiana Code 22-2-13-7
- armed forces of the United States: means the active or reserve components of:
Indiana Code 22-2-13-2
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- bone marrow: means the soft material that fills human bone cavities. See Indiana Code 4-15-16-3
- certified disaster service volunteer: means an individual who has:
Indiana Code 4-15-14-1
- child: means a biological child, adopted child, foster child, or stepchild. See Indiana Code 22-2-13-2.5
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of labor or the commissioner's authorized representative. See Indiana Code 22-2-2-3
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- criminal history information: has the meaning set forth in IC 5-2-4-1(1). See Indiana Code 22-2-17-1
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the department of labor. See Indiana Code 22-2-2-3
- department: refers to the department of labor created by IC 22-1-1-1. See Indiana Code 22-2-15-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- disaster: means an event that is designated under the American National Red Cross Regulations and Procedures to be at least as serious as a level III disaster and is proclaimed by the governor as a disaster warranting the leave allowed under this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-15-14-2
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Employee: means any person employed or permitted to work or perform any service for remuneration or under any contract of hire, written or oral, express or implied by an employer in any occupation, but shall not include any of the following:
Indiana Code 22-2-2-3
- employee: means a person employed or permitted to work or perform services for remuneration under a contract of hire, written or oral, by an employer. See Indiana Code 22-2-13-3
- employee: means a person who is employed full time by a state agency. See Indiana Code 4-15-14-3
- employee: means a person who is employed full time by a state agency. See Indiana Code 4-15-16-4
- Employer: means any individual, partnership, association, limited liability company, corporation, business trust, the state, or other governmental agency or political subdivision during any work week in which they have two (2) or more employees. See Indiana Code 22-2-2-3
- employer: means and includes every person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, limited liability company, receiver, or other officer of any court of this state, and any agent or officer of any of the above mentioned classes, employing any person in this state. See Indiana Code 22-2-9-1
- employer: includes the state and political subdivisions of the state. See Indiana Code 22-2-13-4
- employer: means a person or entity that employs twenty-five (25) or more employees. See Indiana Code 22-2-14-1
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- farm: includes stock, dairy, poultry, fruit, furbearing animals, and truck farms, nurseries, orchards, or greenhouses or other similar structures used primarily for the raising of agricultural or horticultural commodities. See Indiana Code 22-2-2-3
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- grandparent: means a biological grandparent, an adoptive grandparent, a foster grandparent, or a stepgrandparent. See Indiana Code 22-2-13-5
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- health care benefits: means employer provided health coverage, including coverage for medical care, prescription drugs, vision care, medical savings accounts, or any other health related benefit. See Indiana Code 22-2-13-6
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- National Guard: means :
Indiana Code 22-2-13-8
- Occupation: means an industry, trade, business, or class of work in which employees are gainfully employed. See Indiana Code 22-2-2-3
- organ: means a lung, a kidney, or another organ that requires the continuous circulation of blood to remain useful for purposes of transplantation. See Indiana Code 4-15-16-5
- parent: means :
Indiana Code 22-2-13-9
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- political subdivision: has the meaning set forth in IC 36-1-2-13. See Indiana Code 22-2-17-2
- Probate: Proving a will
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Red Cross: means the American National Red Cross created under 36 U. See Indiana Code 4-15-14-4
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- sibling: means :
Indiana Code 22-2-13-10
- specialized disaster relief: means one (1) or more of the following Red Cross service categories in which a certified disaster service volunteer is trained:
Indiana Code 4-15-14-5
- state agency: means an authority, a board, a branch, a bureau, a commission, a committee, a council, a department, a division, an office, an officer, a service, or an instrumentality of the executive, judicial, or legislative branch of state government. See Indiana Code 4-15-14-6
- state agency: means an authority, a board, a branch, a commission, a committee, a department, a division, or another instrumentality of state government. See Indiana Code 4-15-16-6
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- unit: has the meaning set forth in IC 36-1-2-23. See Indiana Code 22-2-16-2
- wages: means all amounts at which the labor or service rendered is recompensed, whether the amount is fixed or ascertained on a time, task, piece, or commission basis, or in any other method of calculating such amount. See Indiana Code 22-2-9-1