Indiana Code > Title 34 > Article 23 > Chapter 1 – Wrongful Death Generally
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
|§ 34-23-1-0.1||Application of certain amendments to chapter|
|§ 34-23-1-1||Death from wrongful act or omission|
|§ 34-23-1-2||Wrongful death actions; damages|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 34 > Article 23 > Chapter 1 - Wrongful Death Generally
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.