Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 4 > Article 4
- account: refers to an individual development account. See Indiana Code 4-4-28-1
- adverse action: means any administrative, civil, equitable, or criminal action permitted by a state's laws which may be imposed against licensed EMS personnel by a state EMS authority or state court, including, but not limited to, actions against an individual's license, such as revocation, suspension, probation, consent agreement, monitoring, or other limitation or encumbrance on the individual's practice, letters of reprimand or admonition, fines, criminal convictions, and state court judgments enforcing adverse actions by the state EMS authority. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-2
- AEMT: means an individual licensed with cognitive knowledge and a scope of practice that corresponds to that level in the National EMS Education Standards and National EMS Scope of Practice Model. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-1
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- alternative fuel: means liquefied petroleum gas, a compressed natural gas product, or a combination of liquefied petroleum gas and a compressed natural gas product, not including a biodiesel fuel or biodiesel blend, used in an internal combustion engine or a motor to propel a motor vehicle. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-1
- alternative fuel: means liquefied petroleum gas, a compressed natural gas product, or a combination of liquefied petroleum gas and a compressed natural gas product, not including a biodiesel fuel or biodiesel blend, used in an internal combustion engine or a motor to propel a motor vehicle. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-1
- alternative fuel conversion kit: means any equipment used to convert a motor vehicle that is not an alternative fuel vehicle into an alternative fuel vehicle, in conformance with any applicable governmental or other nationally recognized safety or design standards, as determined under standards adopted by the office under section 8(1) of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-2
- alternative fuel vehicle: means any motor vehicle that is designed to operate:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-3
- alternative program: means a voluntary, nondisciplinary substance abuse recovery program approved by a state EMS authority. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-3
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- appointing authority: means the head of an agency of the state. See Indiana Code 4-12-1-2
- appropriate facility: has the meaning set forth in IC 12-7-2-82(3). See Indiana Code 16-36-3-1
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- approved laboratory: means a laboratory approved by the state department for making serological tests. See Indiana Code 16-41-15-1
- armed forces of the United States: means the forces and components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. See Indiana Code 16-33-4-1
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- artificial insemination: means the introduction of semen into the vagina or cervix of a woman by means other than through the act of coitus. See Indiana Code 16-41-14-2
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- authority: refers to the Indiana housing and community development authority established under IC 5-20-1. See Indiana Code 4-4-28-1.5
- Autism: means a neurological condition as described in the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- autism spectrum disorder: has the meaning set forth in the most recent edition of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. See Indiana Code 16-32-4-1
- autologous donation: means the removal and storage of blood from a donor or patient for an intended transfusion to the same donor or patient. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-1
- bank: has the meaning set forth in IC 29-2-16. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-2
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- birth problems: means one (1) or more of the following conditions:
Indiana Code 16-38-4-1
- blood: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-41-12-2.5
- blood center: includes a blood bank, a blood storage facility, a plasma center, a hospital, or other facility where blood is collected. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-3
- budget agency: means the budget agency created by IC 4-12-1-3. See Indiana Code 4-3-24-1
- budget bills: shall mean a bill for an act, or two (2) or more such bills, prepared as authorized in this chapter, by which substantially all of the appropriations are made that are necessary and required to carry on state government for the budget period, if and when such bill is, or such bills are, enacted into law. See Indiana Code 4-12-1-2
- Budget director: refers to the director of the budget agency established under IC 4-12-1. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- budget director: means the person who is director of the budget agency. See Indiana Code 4-12-1-2
- budget period: means that period of time for which appropriations are made in the budget bill or budget bills. See Indiana Code 4-12-1-2
- budget report: shall mean a written explanation of the budget bill or bills, and a general statement of the reasons for the appropriations therein and of the sources and extent of state income to meet such appropriations, together with such further parts as are required by law. See Indiana Code 4-12-1-2
- Bureau: means the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the United States Department of Commerce or its successor agency. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Caucus: From the Algonquian Indian language, a caucus meant "to meet together." An informal organization of members of the legislature that exists to discuss issues of mutual concern and possibly to perform legislative research and policy planning for its members. There are regional, political or ideological, ethnic, and economic-based caucuses.
- center: refers to the Silvercrest children's development center. See Indiana Code 16-33-3-1
- certification: means the successful verification of entry level cognitive and psychomotor competency using a reliable, validated, and legally defensible examination. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-4
- child: means a child who is:
Indiana Code 16-35-8-1
- children: refers to children with special health care needs. See Indiana Code 16-35-2-1
- chronic disease: means one (1) of the following conditions:
Indiana Code 16-38-6-1
- Clerk: means the clerk of the court or a person authorized to perform the clerk's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- commission: refers to the Indiana commission to combat drug abuse established by section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-3-25-1
- commission: means the national administrative body, of which all states that have enacted the compact are members. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-5
- commission: refers to the Indiana motorsports commission created under IC 5-1-17. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-2
- committee: means the budget committee. See Indiana Code 4-12-1-2
- community development corporation: means a private, nonprofit corporation:
Indiana Code 4-4-28-2
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- confirmatory test: means a laboratory test or a series of tests approved by the state department and used in conjunction with a screening test to confirm or refute the results of the screening test for the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antigen or antibodies to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). See Indiana Code 16-41-12-4
- consent: means authorization to provide, withhold, or withdraw treatment. See Indiana Code 16-36-6-1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Costs: means the cost of construction, equipment, land, property rights (including leasehold interests), easements, franchises, leases, financing charges, interest costs during and for a reasonable period after construction, architectural, engineering, legal, and other consulting or advisory services, plans, specifications, surveys, cost estimates, and other costs or expenses necessary or incident to the acquisition, development, construction, financing, and operating of an economic growth initiative. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Court reporter: A person who makes a word-for-word record of what is said in court and produces a transcript of the proceedings upon request.
- covered entity: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-32-5-1
- covered entity: has the meaning set forth in 45 CFR 160. See Indiana Code 16-39-10-1
- Current calendar year: means a calendar year during which a transfer to or from the fund is initially determined under sections 4 and 5 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Current reporting period: means the most recent reporting period for which the following information is published by the bureau:
Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- dead body: means a lifeless human body or parts or bones of the human body from the condition of which it reasonably may be concluded that death recently occurred. See Indiana Code 16-37-3-1
- declarant: means a person:
Indiana Code 16-36-5-3
- declarant: means a qualified person:
Indiana Code 16-36-6-2
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- defibrillator: means an automatic external defibrillator. See Indiana Code 16-31-6.5-3
- department: refers to the department of homeland security established by IC 10-19-2-1. See Indiana Code 16-31-8.5-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- developmental disability: has the meaning set forth in IC 12-7-2-61. See Indiana Code 16-32-4-2
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- director: refers to the director of the office of community and rural affairs appointed under section 5 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-4-9.7-1
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- distributed for use: refers to a blood center releasing or shipping blood for use in a blood inventory intended for or made available for transfusion or injection to a patient. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-5.5
- district: refers to a motorsports investment district established under IC 5-1-17. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-4
- division: refers to the division of historic preservation and archeology of the department of natural resources established by IC 14-9-4-1. See Indiana Code 4-4-37-1.3
- DNR: means do not resuscitate. See Indiana Code 16-36-5-4
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- donor insemination: means artificial insemination by a donor. See Indiana Code 16-41-14-3
- Economic growth initiative: means :
Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- effective treatment: means treatment that meets the following conditions:
Indiana Code 16-41-16-3
- eligible broadband project: means a project for the deployment of broadband infrastructure for the provision of eligible broadband service, regardless of the delivery technology, in rural areas in Indiana. See Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-2
- eligible broadband service: means a terrestrial connection to the Internet that provides an actual speed of at least twenty-five (25) megabits per second downstream and at least three (3) megabits per second upstream, regardless of the technology or medium used to provide the connection. See Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-3
- eligible broadband service provider: means any company, firm, corporation, partnership, or association that:
Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-4
- emergency medical services provider: means a firefighter, a law enforcement officer, a paramedic, an emergency medical technician, a physician licensed under IC 25-22. See Indiana Code 16-41-10-1
- employer: has the meaning set forth in IC 22-8-1. See Indiana Code 16-41-11-1
- EMT: means an individual licensed with cognitive knowledge and a scope of practice that corresponds to that level in the National EMS Education Standards and the National EMS Scope of Practice Model. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-6
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- facility: means a building where an individual handles blood or other body fluids in the regular course of the individual's employment. See Indiana Code 16-41-11-2
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- financial institution: means a bank, savings association, credit union, or any other institution regulated under IC 28 or federal law. See Indiana Code 4-4-28-3
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- food instrument: means an electronic benefit transfer card that can be taken to a WIC vendor for exchange for a specified quantity of food. See Indiana Code 16-35-1.5-1
- food service establishment: means a fixed or mobile establishment that serves food to the public for consumption on the premises. See Indiana Code 16-31-9-1
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- fueling station: refers to tangible property (other than a building and its structural components) that:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-3
- fund: refers to the emergency medical services fund established by section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-31-8.5-2
- fund: refers to the hearing aid fund established by section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-35-8-2
- fund: refers to an individual development account fund established by a community development corporation under section 13 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-4-28-4
- fund: refers to the rural broadband fund established by IC 4-4-38. See Indiana Code 4-4-38-0.3
- fund: refers to the rural broadband fund established by section 11 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-5
- Fund: means the counter-cyclical revenue and economic stabilization fund established under this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- General fund revenue: means all general purpose tax revenue and other unrestricted general purpose revenue of the state, including federal revenue sharing monies, credited to the state general fund and from which appropriations may be made. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Germane: On the subject of the pending bill or other business; a strict standard of relevance.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- gross retail incremental amount: means the remainder of:
Indiana Code 4-10-23-6
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- health care: means any care, treatment, service, or procedure to maintain, diagnose, or treat an individual's physical or mental condition. See Indiana Code 16-36-1-1
- health care quality indicator data: means information concerning the provision of health care services that may be collected and used to measure and compare quality of health care services. See Indiana Code 16-40-4-1
- health coverage provider: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-40-4-2
- hemophilia: means a bleeding tendency resulting from a genetically determined deficiency factor in the blood. See Indiana Code 16-41-18-2
- Highway: includes county bridges and state and county roads, unless otherwise expressly provided. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- home: refers to the Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home established by this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-33-4-3
- home: includes the delivery of a viable fetus at a home or other non-health care facility. See Indiana Code 16-38-4-1
- home state: means a member state where an individual is licensed to practice emergency medical services. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-7
- hospital: has the meaning set forth in IC 29-2-16. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-6
- Implicit price deflator for the gross domestic product: means the implicit price deflator for the gross domestic product, or its closest equivalent, which is available from the bureau. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- income tax incremental amount: means the remainder of:
Indiana Code 4-10-23-8
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- individual development account: means an account in a financial institution administered by a community development corporation that allows a qualifying individual to deposit money:
Indiana Code 4-4-28-5
- infectious waste: means waste that epidemiologic evidence indicates is capable of transmitting a serious communicable disease (as set forth in the list published under IC 16-41-2-1). See Indiana Code 16-41-16-4
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- law enforcement official: has the meaning set forth in 45 CFR 164. See Indiana Code 16-39-10-2
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- license: means the authorization by a state for an individual to practice as an EMT, AEMT, paramedic, or a level between EMT and paramedic. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-8
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- life prolonging procedures will declarant: means a person who has executed a life prolonging procedures will declaration under section 11 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-4-2
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- living will declarant: means a person who has executed a living will declaration under section 10 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-4-3
- local health department: refers to :
Indiana Code 16-41-7.5-1
- location: refers to one (1) or more parcels of land that:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-4
- Majority leader: see Floor Leaders
- medical director: means a physician licensed in a member state who is accountable for the care delivered by EMS personnel. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-9
- medical record: means written or printed information possessed by a provider (as defined in IC 16-18-2-295) concerning any diagnosis, treatment, or prognosis of the patient, unless otherwise defined. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- member state: means a state that has enacted this compact. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-10
- mental health provider: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-36-1.5-2
- Mentally incompetent: means of unsound mind. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- military service applicant: means an applicant for licensure or certification under this article who has performed service as an active member of any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-31-11-1
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- motor fuel: has the meaning set forth in IC 6-6-4. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-5
- motor vehicle: has the meaning set forth in IC 9-13-2-105(a). See Indiana Code 4-4-28-5.5
- motor vehicle: means any vehicle that:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-6
- motor vehicle: means any vehicle that:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-3.8
- municipal corporation: means a:
Indiana Code 16-35-1-1
- nontransporting emergency medical services vehicle: means a motor vehicle, other than an ambulance, used for emergency medical services. See Indiana Code 16-31-3-0.5
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- office: refers to the Indiana office of energy development established by section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-3-23-2
- office: refers to the office of community and rural affairs established by section 4 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-4-9.7-2
- office: refers to the Indiana office of energy development established by IC 4-3-23-3. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-7
- office: refers to the Indiana office of energy development established by IC 4-3-23-3. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-4
- office: refers to the office of community and rural affairs established by IC 4-4-9. See Indiana Code 4-4-37-2
- office: refers to the office of community and rural affairs established by IC 4-4-9. See Indiana Code 4-4-38-1
- office: refers to the office of community and rural affairs established by IC 4-4-9. See Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-6
- other severe disability: means a severe physical disability or developmental delay that results from injury, infection, or disease, is chronic in nature, and requires long term health care. See Indiana Code 16-38-4-2
- out of hospital: refers to a location other than an acute care hospital licensed under IC 16-21-2. See Indiana Code 16-36-5-5
- out of hospital DNR declaration and order: means a document executed under sections 11 and 12 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-5-6
- out of hospital DNR identification device: means a device developed by the emergency medical services commission under section 17 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-5-7
- Outlays: Outlays are payments made (generally through the issuance of checks or disbursement of cash) to liquidate obligations. Outlays during a fiscal year may be for payment of obligations incurred in prior years or in the same year.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- paramedic: means an individual licensed with cognitive knowledge and a scope of practice that corresponds to that level in the National EMS Education Standards and the National EMS Scope of Practice Model. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-11
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- patient: means a person who is the recipient of mental health services. See Indiana Code 16-36-1.5-3
- patient: means :
Indiana Code 16-38-4-3
- person: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 4-4-37-3
- person: means an individual, association, partnership, corporation, or governmental entity. See Indiana Code 16-38-4-4
- person in charge of interment: means a person who places or causes to be placed a stillborn child or dead body or the ashes, after cremation, in a grave, vault, urn, or other receptacle, or otherwise disposes of the body or ashes. See Indiana Code 16-37-3-2
- physician: has the meaning set forth in IC 29-2-16. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-7
- pilot program: means the opioid addiction recovery pilot program for pregnant women and women with newborns established by section 2 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-35-10-1
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Political subdivision: has the meaning set forth in IC 36-1-2-13. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Population: has the meaning set forth in IC 1-1-3. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- POST form: refers to a physician order for scope of treatment (POST) form developed by the state department under section 9 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-6-4
- potentially disease transmitting offense: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-41-8-1
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- practitioner: means a person who:
Indiana Code 16-41-14-4
- preservation: means the application of measures to sustain the form, integrity, and material of:
Indiana Code 4-4-37-4
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- privilege to practice: means an individual's authority to deliver emergency medical services in remote states as authorized under this compact. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-12
- Pro se: A Latin term meaning "on one's own behalf"; in courts, it refers to persons who present their own cases without lawyers.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- program: refers to the health care quality indicator data program developed and implemented under sections 4 and 5 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-40-4-3
- program: means a syringe exchange program operated under this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-41-7.5-2
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- protected health information: has the meaning set forth in 45 CFR 160. See Indiana Code 16-39-10-3
- psychiatric advance directive: means a written instrument that expresses the individual's preference and consent to the administration of treatment measures for a specific diagnosis for the care and treatment of the individual's mental illness during subsequent periods of incapacity. See Indiana Code 16-36-1.7-1
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- qualified broadband project: means a project for the deployment of broadband infrastructure for the provision of qualified broadband service, regardless of the delivery technology, in unserved areas in Indiana. See Indiana Code 4-4-38-2
- qualified broadband provider: means any company, firm, corporation, partnership, or association that, at the time of submission of a grant application under this chapter:
Indiana Code 4-4-38-4
- qualified broadband service: means a connection to the Internet that provides capacity for transmission at an actual speed of at least ten (10) megabits per second downstream and at least one (1) megabit per second upstream, regardless of the technology or medium used to provide the connection. See Indiana Code 4-4-38-5
- qualified entity: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 16-41-7.5-3
- qualified expenditures: means expenditures for preservation or rehabilitation that are chargeable to a capital account and limited for a project to the exterior of a building. See Indiana Code 4-4-37-5
- qualified investment: refers to an ordinary and usual expense that is incurred after June 30, 2009, to purchase any part of an alternative fuel compatible fueling station for the purpose of:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-8
- qualified motorsports facility: has the meaning set forth in IC 5-1-17. See Indiana Code 4-10-23-9
- qualified patient: means a patient who has been certified as a qualified patient under section 13 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-4-4
- qualified person: means an individual certified as a qualified person under section 10 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-5-8
- qualified person: refers to an individual who has at least one (1) of the following:
Indiana Code 16-36-6-5
- qualified purchase: refers to the purchase by a unit after June 30, 2009, of any of the following:
Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-5
- qualified recipient: means a recipient who has a disability and meets the eligibility requirements for receipt of an anatomical gift regardless of the use of the following:
Indiana Code 16-32-5-2
- qualifying individual: means an individual or a member of an individual's household who may establish an individual development account because the individual:
Indiana Code 4-4-28-6
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- registry: refers to the birth problems registry established under this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-38-4-5
- rehabilitation: means the process of returning a property to a state of utility through repair or alteration that makes possible an efficient contemporary use while preserving the parts or features of the property that are significant to the historical or architectural values of the property. See Indiana Code 4-4-37-6
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- remote state: means a member state in which an individual is not licensed. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-13
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Reporting period: refers to a period of twelve (12) consecutive months. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- representative: means :
Indiana Code 16-36-1-2
- representative: means a person's:
Indiana Code 16-36-5-9
- representative: means an individual described in section 7(a)(2) of this chapter. See Indiana Code 16-36-6-6
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- restricted: means the outcome of an adverse action that limits a license or the privilege to practice. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-14
- rule: means a written statement by the interstate commission promulgated under IC 16-31. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-15
- rural area: means :
Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-7
- scope of practice: means defined parameters of various duties or services that may be provided by an individual with specific credentials. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-16
- screening test: means a laboratory screening test or a series of tests approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration and required by the state department to be performed on blood collected under this chapter, including the following:
Indiana Code 16-41-12-8
- secretary: refers to the lieutenant governor as secretary of agriculture and rural development, as provided in IC 4-4-2. See Indiana Code 4-4-9.7-3
- secure area: means an area that is designed and maintained to prevent the entry of unauthorized persons. See Indiana Code 16-41-16-6
- service animal: refers to an animal trained as:
Indiana Code 16-32-3-1.5
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- significant investigatory information: means investigative information that:
Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-17
- standard licensed diagnostic test for HIV: means a test recognized by the state department as a standard licensed diagnostic test for the antibody or antigen to HIV. See Indiana Code 16-41-6-0.5
- standard serological test for syphilis: means a test recognized as a standard serological test for syphilis by the state department. See Indiana Code 16-41-15-2
- state: means any state, commonwealth, district, or territory of the United States. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-18
- state agency: has the meaning set forth in IC 4-13-1-1. See Indiana Code 4-3-24-2
- state agency: means an authority, a board, a branch, a commission, a committee, a department, a division, or another instrumentality of the executive, including the administrative, department of state government. See Indiana Code 4-4-38.5-8
- state department: refers to the state department of health. See Indiana Code 16-38-4-6
- state EMS authority: means the board, office, or other agency with the legislative mandate to license EMS personnel. See Indiana Code 16-31.5-2-19
- State personal income: means state personal income as that term is defined by the bureau. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- storage facility: has the meaning set forth in IC 29-2-16. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-9
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- superintendent: has the meaning set forth in IC 12-7-2-188(3). See Indiana Code 16-36-3-2
- surgeon: has the meaning set forth in IC 29-2-16. See Indiana Code 16-41-12-10
- terminal condition: means a condition caused by injury, disease, or illness from which, to a reasonable degree of medical certainty:
Indiana Code 16-36-4-5
- Testate: To die leaving a will.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- training or educational purposes: means for the purpose of:
Indiana Code 16-39-7.1-1.5
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Transfer payments: means current personal transfer receipts as that term is defined by the bureau. See Indiana Code 4-10-18-1
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- unit: means a county, city, town, township, or school corporation. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.2-9
- unit: means a county, city, town, township, or school corporation. See Indiana Code 4-4-32.3-6
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- universal precautions: means procedures specified by rule adopted by the state department under IC 4-22-2 that are used to prevent the transmission of serious communicable diseases through blood or other body fluids. See Indiana Code 16-41-11-3
- unserved area: means a geographic area of Indiana, identified at the census block level, in which there is not at least one (1) provider of terrestrial broadband service offering a connection to the Internet that provides capacity for transmission at an actual speed of at least ten (10) megabits per second downstream and at least one (1) megabit per second upstream. See Indiana Code 4-4-38-6
- Variable Rate: Having a "variable" rate means that the APR changes from time to time based on fluctuations in an external rate, normally the Prime Rate. This external rate is known as the "index." If the index changes, the variable rate normally changes. Also see Fixed Rate.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- waste blood specimen: means a blood sample or a solid, liquid, or semiliquid blood product that:
Indiana Code 16-41-17-1
- WIC: refers to the women, infants, and children nutrition program. See Indiana Code 16-35-1.5-2
- WIC office: refers to an office providing assistance to a WIC participant. See Indiana Code 16-35-1.6-3
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5