1. a. The department shall issue a request for proposals to select and license by April 1, 2018, up to five medical cannabidiol dispensaries to dispense medical cannabidiol within this state consistent with the provisions of this chapter. The department shall license new medical cannabidiol dispensaries or relicense the existing medical cannabidiol dispensaries by December 1 of each year.
b. Information submitted during the application process shall be confidential until a medical cannabidiol dispensary is licensed by the department unless otherwise protected from disclosure under state or federal law.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 124E.8
- Department: means the department of public health. See Iowa Code 124E.2
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Medical cannabidiol: means any pharmaceutical grade cannabinoid found in the plant Cannabis sativa L. See Iowa Code 124E.2
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. As a condition for licensure, a medical cannabidiol dispensary must agree to begin supplying medical cannabidiol to patients by December 1, 2018.
3. The department shall consider the following factors in determining whether to select and license a medical cannabidiol dispensary:
a. The technical expertise of the medical cannabidiol dispensary regarding medical cannabidiol.
b. The qualifications of the medical cannabidiol dispensary’s employees.
c. The long-term financial stability of the medical cannabidiol dispensary.
d. The ability to provide appropriate security measures on the premises of the medical cannabidiol dispensary.
e. The medical cannabidiol dispensary’s projection and ongoing assessment of fees for the purchase of medical cannabidiol on patients with debilitating medical conditions.
4. Each entity submitting an application for licensure as a medical cannabidiol dispensary shall pay a nonrefundable application fee of five thousand dollars to the department.