The department shall adopt and may amend and repeal rules for acceptance of persons into the treatment program, subject to chapter 17A, considering available treatment resources and facilities, for the purpose of early and effective treatment of persons with substance-related disorders and concerned family members. In establishing the rules the department shall be guided by the following standards:
1. If possible a patient shall be treated on a voluntary rather than an involuntary basis.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 125.32
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. A patient shall be initially assigned or transferred to outpatient treatment, unless the patient is found to require inpatient, residential, or halfway house treatment.
3. A person shall not be denied treatment solely because the person has withdrawn from treatment against medical advice on a prior occasion or because the person has relapsed after earlier treatment.
4. An individualized treatment plan shall be prepared and maintained on a current basis for each patient after the assessment process.
5. Provision shall be made for a continuum of coordinated treatment services, so that a person who leaves a facility or a form of treatment will have available and may utilize other appropriate treatment.