As used in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Abortion” means an abortion as defined in chapter 146.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 135L.1
- Abortion: means an abortion as defined in chapter 146. See Iowa Code 135L.1
- Adult: means a person eighteen years of age or older. See Iowa Code 135L.1
- Court: means the juvenile court. See Iowa Code 135L.1
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Minor: means a person under eighteen years of age who has not been and is not married. See Iowa Code 135L.1
- Parent: means one parent or a legal guardian or custodian of a pregnant minor. See Iowa Code 135L.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Adult” means a person eighteen years of age or older.
3. “Child-placing agency” means any agency, public, semipublic, or private, which represents itself as placing children, receiving children for placement, or actually engaging in placement of children and includes the department of human services.
4. “Court” means the juvenile court.
5. “Grandparent” means the parent of an individual who is the parent of the pregnant minor.
6. “Medical emergency” means a condition which, based upon a physician’s judgment, necessitates an abortion to avert the pregnant minor’s death, or for which a delay will create a risk of serious impairment of a major bodily function.
7. “Minor” means a person under eighteen years of age who has not been and is not married.
8. “Parent” means one parent or a legal guardian or custodian of a pregnant minor.
9. “Responsible adult” means an adult, who is not associated with an abortion provider, chosen by a pregnant minor to assist the minor in the decision-making process established in this chapter.