As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Administrator” means the administrator of that division of the department designated by the director of human services to administer this chapter or the administrator’s designee.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 237C.1
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Iowa Code 4.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Child” or “children” means an individual or individuals under eighteen years of age.
3. “Children’s residential facility” means a private facility designed to serve children who have been voluntarily placed for reasons other than an exclusively recreational activity outside of their home by a parent or legal guardian and who are not under the custody or authority of the department of human services, juvenile court, or another governmental agency, that provides twenty-four-hour care, including food, lodging, supervision, education, or other care on a full-time basis by a person other than a relative or guardian of the child, but does not include an entity providing any of the following:
a. Care furnished by an individual who receives the child of a personal friend as an occasional and personal guest in the individual’s home, free of charge and not as a business.
b. Care furnished by an individual with whom a child has been placed for lawful adoption, unless that adoption is not completed within two years after placement.
c. Child care furnished by a child care facility as defined in section 237A.1.
d. Care furnished in a hospital licensed under chapter 135B or care furnished in a health care facility as defined in section 135C.1.
e. Care furnished by a juvenile detention home or juvenile shelter care home approved under section 232.142.
f. Care furnished by a child foster care facility licensed under chapter 237.
g. Care furnished by an institution listed in section 218.1.
h. Care furnished by a facility licensed under chapter 125.
i. Care furnished by a psychiatric medical institution for children licensed under chapter 135H.
4. “Department” means the department of human services.