Notwithstanding the other provisions of this chapter, persons who are not licensed architects may perform planning and design services in connection with any of the following:
1. Detached residential buildings containing twelve or fewer family dwelling units of not more than three stories and outbuildings in connection with the buildings.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 544A.18
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. Buildings used primarily for agricultural purposes including grain elevators and feed mills.
3. Nonstructural alterations to existing buildings which do not change the use of a building:
a. From any other use to a place of assembly of people or public gathering.
b. From any other use to a place of residence not exempted by subsection 1.
c. From an industrial or warehouse use to a commercial or office use not exempted by subsection 4.
4. Warehouses and commercial buildings not more than one story in height, and not exceeding ten thousand square feet in gross floor area; commercial buildings not more than two stories in height and not exceeding six thousand square feet in gross floor area and light industrial buildings.
5. Factory built buildings which are not more than two stories in height and not exceeding twenty thousand square feet in gross floor area or which are certified by a professional engineer licensed under chapter 542B.
6. Churches and accessory buildings, whether attached or separate, not more than two stories in height and not exceeding two thousand square feet in gross floor area.