Iowa Code 600A.2B – Rights and duties of guardian
Current as of: 2023 | Check for updates | Other versions
Unless otherwise enlarged or circumscribed by a court or juvenile court having jurisdiction over the minor child or by operation of law, the rights and duties of a guardian with respect to a minor child shall be as follows:
1. To consent to marriage, enlistment in the armed forces of the United States, or medical, psychiatric, or surgical treatment.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 600A.2B
- Child: means a son or daughter of a parent, whether by birth or adoption. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- Court: means a district court. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- Custodian: means a stepparent or a relative within the fourth degree of consanguinity to a minor child who has assumed responsibility for that child, a person who has accepted a release of custody, or a person appointed by a court or juvenile court having jurisdiction over a child. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Guardian: means a person who is not the parent of a minor child, but who has been appointed by a court or juvenile court having jurisdiction over the minor child to make important decisions which have permanent effect on the life and development of that child and to promote the general welfare of that child. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juvenile court: means the juvenile court established by section 602. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- Minor: means an unmarried person who is under the age of eighteen years. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- Parent-child relationship: means the relationship between a parent and a child recognized by the law as conferring certain rights and privileges and imposing certain duties. See Iowa Code 600A.2
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- United States: includes all the states. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. To serve as custodian, unless another person has been appointed custodian.
3. To make reasonable visitations if the guardian does not have physical possession or custody of the minor child.
4. To consent to adoption and to make any other decision that the parents could have made when the parent-child relationship existed.