1. An interpreter shall be appointed without expense to the person requiring assistance in the following cases:
a. If the person requiring assistance is a witness in the civil legal proceeding.
b. If the person requiring assistance is indigent and financially unable to secure an interpreter.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 622A.3
- Administrative agency: means any department, board, commission, or agency of the state or any political subdivision of the state. See Iowa Code 622A.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Legal proceeding: means any action before any court, or any legal action preparatory to appearing before any court, whether civil, criminal, or juvenile in nature; and any proceeding before any administrative agency which is quasi-judicial in nature and which has direct legal implications to any person. See Iowa Code 622A.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Rule: includes "regulation". See Iowa Code 4.1
2. In civil cases, every court shall tax the cost of an interpreter the same as other court costs. In criminal cases, where the defendant is indigent, the interpreter shall be considered as a defendant’s witness under rule of criminal procedure 2.15 for the purpose of receiving fees, except that subpoenas shall not be required. If the proceeding is before an administrative agency, that agency shall provide such interpreter but may require that a party to the proceeding pay the expense thereof.
3. Moneys recovered as court costs for interpreters paid through the revolving fund established in section 602.1302, subsection 3, shall be deposited in that fund.