1. The registration requirements of this chapter shall apply to sex offenders convicted on or after July 1, 2009, of a sex offense classified under section 692A.102.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 692A.125
- Convicted: means found guilty of, pleads guilty to, or is sentenced or adjudicated delinquent for an act which is an indictable offense in this state or in another jurisdiction including in a federal, military, tribal, or foreign court, including but not limited to a juvenile who has been adjudicated delinquent, but whose juvenile court records have been sealed under section 232. See Iowa Code 692A.101
- Conviction: includes the conviction of a juvenile prosecuted as an adult. See Iowa Code 692A.101
- Department: means the department of public safety. See Iowa Code 692A.101
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Incarcerated: means to be imprisoned by placing a person in a jail, prison, penitentiary, juvenile facility, or other correctional institution or facility or a place or condition of confinement or forcible restraint regardless of the nature of the institution in which the person serves a sentence for a conviction. See Iowa Code 692A.101
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Sex offender: means a person who is required to be registered under this chapter. See Iowa Code 692A.101
- Sex offense: means an indictable offense for which a conviction has been entered that is enumerated in section 692A. See Iowa Code 692A.101
- Sexually motivated: means the same as defined in section 229A. See Iowa Code 692A.101
2. The registration requirements of this chapter shall apply to a sex offender convicted of a sex offense or a comparable offense under prior law prior to July 1, 2009, under the following circumstances:
a. Any sex offender including a juvenile offender who is required to be on the sex offender registry as of June 30, 2009.
b. Any sex offender who is incarcerated on or after July 1, 2009, for conviction of a sex offense committed prior to July 1, 2009.
3. For an offense requiring registration due to sexual motivation, the registration requirements of section 692A.126 shall apply to a person convicted of an offense if the department makes the determination that the offense was sexually motivated as provided in section 692A.126, subsection 2.
4. For a sex offender required to register pursuant to subsection 1 or 2, each conviction or adjudication for a sex offense requiring registration, regardless of whether such conviction or adjudication occurred prior to, on, or after July 1, 2009, shall be included in determining the tier requirements pursuant to this chapter.
5. An offender on the sex offender registry as of June 30, 2009, and who is required to be on the registry on or after July 1, 2009, shall be credited for any time on the registry prior to July 1, 2009.