1. A person or business entity who willfully violates a provision of this chapter or a rule adopted pursuant to this chapter shall be assessed a civil penalty of not more than five thousand dollars for each violation.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 88B.12
- Business entity: means a partnership, firm, association, corporation, sole proprietorship, or other business concern. See Iowa Code 88B.1
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Rule: includes "regulation". See Iowa Code 4.1
2. A person or business entity who previously has been assessed a civil penalty under this section, and who willfully violates a provision of this chapter or a rule adopted pursuant to this chapter:
a. For a first offense, is guilty of a simple misdemeanor and shall be fined not to exceed twenty thousand dollars.
b. For a second or subsequent offense, is guilty of an aggravated misdemeanor and shall be fined not to exceed twenty-five thousand dollars or imprisoned for not to exceed two years, or both.