For the purpose of this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “ASME code” means the boiler and pressure vessel code published by the American society of mechanical engineers.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 89.2
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Iowa Code 4.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Board” means the boiler and pressure vessel board created in section 89.14.
3. “Boiler” means a vessel in which water or other liquids are heated, steam or other vapors are generated, steam or other vapors are superheated, or any combination thereof, under pressure or vacuum by the direct application of heat.
4. “Commissioner” means the labor commissioner or the labor commissioner’s designee.
5. “Exhibition boiler” means a boiler which is operated in the state for nonprofit purposes including, but not limited to, exhibitions, fairs, parades, farm machinery shows, or any other event of an historical or educational nature. An “exhibition boiler” includes steam locomotives, traction and portable steam engines, and stationary boilers of the firetube, watertube, and returntube class, model or miniature, and may be riveted, riveted and welded, or all welded construction, if used within the state solely for nonprofit purposes.
6. “Object” means a boiler or pressure vessel.
7. “Power boiler” means a boiler in which steam or other vapor is generated at a pressure of more than fifteen pounds per square inch or a water boiler intended for operation at pressures in excess of one hundred sixty pounds per square inch or temperatures in excess of 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. a. “Public assembly” means the assembly of people in any of the following:
(1) A building or structure primarily used as a theater, motion picture theater, museum, arena, exhibition hall, school, college, dormitory, bowling alley, physical fitness center, family entertainment center, lodge hall, union hall, pool hall, casino, place of worship, funeral home, institution of health and custodial care, hospital, or child care or adult day services facility.
(2) A building or structure, a portion of which is primarily used for amusement, entertainment, or instruction.
(3) A building or structure owned by or leased to the state or any of its agencies or political subdivisions.
b. However, for purposes of this chapter, “public assembly” does not include the assembly of people in buildings or structures containing only eating and drinking establishments or in any building used exclusively by an employer for training or instruction of its own employees.
9. “Special inspector” means an inspector who holds a commission from the commissioner and who is not a state employee.
10. “Steam heating boiler” means a boiler operating at not more than fifteen pounds per square inch; or a hot water heating boiler operating at not more than one hundred sixty pounds per square inch and not more than 250 degrees Fahrenheit at the boiler outlet.
11. “Unfired steam pressure vessel” means a vessel or container used for the containment of steam pressure either internal or external in which the pressure is obtained from an external source.