Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 21-5703
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture any controlled substance or controlled substance analog.
(b) Violation or attempted violation of subsection (a) is a:
(1) Drug severity level 2 felony, except as provided in subsections (b)(2) and (b)(3);
(2) drug severity level 1 felony if:
(A) The controlled substance is not methamphetamine, as defined by subsection (d)(3) or (f)(1) of K.S.A. 65-4107, and amendments thereto, or an analog thereof; and
(B) the offender has a prior conviction for unlawful manufacturing of a controlled substance under this section, K.S.A. 65-4159, prior to its repeal, K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 21-36a03, prior to its transfer, or a substantially similar offense from another jurisdiction and the substance was not methamphetamine, as defined by subsection (d)(3) or (f)(1) of K.S.A. 65-4107, and amendments thereto, or an analog thereof, in any such prior conviction; and
(3) drug severity level 1 felony if the controlled substance is methamphetamine, as defined by subsection (d)(3) or (f)(1) of K.S.A. 65-4107, and amendments thereto, or an analog thereof.
(c) The provisions of subsection (d) of K.S.A. 2018 Supp. 21-5301, and amendments thereto, shall not apply to a violation of attempting to unlawfully manufacture any controlled substance or controlled substance analog pursuant to this section.
(d) For persons arrested and charged under this section, bail shall be at least $50,000 cash or surety, and such person shall not be released upon the person’s own recognizance pursuant to K.S.A. 22-2802, and amendments thereto, unless the court determines, on the record, that the defendant is not likely to re-offend, the court imposes pretrial supervision, or the defendant agrees to participate in a licensed or certified drug treatment program.
(e) The sentence of a person who violates this section shall not be subject to statutory provisions for suspended sentence, community service work or probation.
(f) The sentence of a person who violates this section, K.S.A. 65-4159, prior to its repeal or K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 21-36a03, prior to its transfer, shall not be reduced because these sections prohibit conduct identical to that prohibited by K.S.A. 65-4161 or 65-4163, prior to their repeal, K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 21-36a05, prior to its transfer, or K.S.A. 2018 Supp. 21-5705, and amendments thereto.