(a) In case of contumacy by, or refusal to obey a subpoena issued to any person, any court of competent jurisdiction, upon application by the commissioner, may issue to that person an order requiring the person to appear before the commissioner, or the officer designated by the commissioner, there, to produce documentary evidence if so ordered or to give evidence touching the matter under investigation or in question. Any failure to obey the order of the court may be punished by the court as a contempt of court.
(b) No person shall be excused from attending and testifying or from producing any document or record before the commissioner or in obedience to the subpoena of the commissioner or the commissioner’s designee, or in any proceeding instituted by the commissioner, on the ground that the testimony or evidence, documentary or otherwise, required of the person may tend to incriminate the person or subject the person to a penalty or forfeiture. No individual may be prosecuted or subjected to any penalty or forfeiture for or on account of any transaction, matter or thing concerning which such person is compelled, after claiming privilege against self-incrimination, to testify or produce evidence, documentary or otherwise, except that the individual so testifying shall not be exempt from prosecution and punishment for perjury committed in so testifying.
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 50-1130
- Commissioner: means the state bank commissioner or designee, who shall be the deputy commissioner of the consumer and mortgage lending division of the office of the state bank commissioner. See Kansas Statutes 50-1117
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: means any individual, corporation, partnership, association, unincorporated organization or other form of entity, however organized, including a nonprofit entity. See Kansas Statutes 50-1117
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.